Hatches on Tobyhanna Creek - Monroe County

Millsertime

Millsertime

I drive by and live so close to this creek but rarely fish it because I feel it lacks insect life and is more of a put/take creek. It definitely gets warm in the summer and is very tannic.

I enjoy fishing some tribs to Tobyhanna for brookies but I have no love for the main creek.

Has anybody ever experienced any good hatches (mayfly) on Tobyhanna Creek? If so, have you experienced rising trout? Does the creek deserve more of my attention? Thanks.

I haven't fished the Toby a ton, I agree there isn't a lot happening with hatches most of the time, but there are some to fish. Plus the stocked fish are underwhelming, but it may be worth a trip or two since you live close by the stream.

Below is a detailed list of hatches for the Toby for what it's worth. Plus be sure to read the fishing tips for the Toby in the link below.
Hope it helps >

The hatches are not huge or prolific on
Tobyhanna like they are in most of
Pennsylvania's Spring Creeks, but they do
have a fairly large diversity of aquatic
insects. When something does hatch, you
may find the trout keying in on the insects.

The first insects to hatch are the Little
Winter Stoneflies. Little Browns and Little
Blacks are common in the pocket water
sections of the stream. Blue-winged Olives
start hatching in late March and will hatch
off and on until October. There are several
species but none of them are huge
hatches.

Blue Quills normally start hatching near the
end of March. They are usually around for
about a month. In April and early May, you
may find a few March Browns in the faster
sections of water.

Caddisflies are present, but not real
abundant. The LIttle Black Caddis start
hatching in mid April and hatch for about
three weeks.

By May, Green Sedges make their
appearance. These caddisflies can hatch
for as long as three months but never in
any large quantities.

Cinnamon Caddis are the most common
caddisflies. They are more plentiful on the
lower section of the stream. There is also
some Little Brown Caddis that hatch in the
slower sections of the water.

There is a Hendrickson hatch that occurs in
late April and early May but again, it usually
isn't prolific. You can catch trout eating the
emergers and the spinners late in the day
near dark. Slate Drakes are another
common mayfly but they never hatch in any
large quantities. They do hatch off and on
from June until near October. There are a
few Light Cahills that hatch in June but in a
very sparse manner.

Sculpin, baitfish and crayfish are present in
the creek and provide food for the trout.
Streamers that imitate these work well at
times. Terrestrial insects, mainly beetles,
grasshoppers and ants provide part of the
food for the trout. Imitations of them work
from late June until near the end of
September.

Link to source > http://www.perfectflystore.com/wtobbyhac.html

I fish it pretty often the most prevelant hatch would be caddis I use some color of caddis for most Pocono streams and am catching fish. To me the big thing up there is size and drift.

I used to fish it a number of years ago and agree with what is written above. Sporadic mayfly action to keep thing interesting. Caddis of various sorts are the main hatches. A tan or olive in #16 can rise fish about anytime.
I found that yellow wooly buggers were probably the most productive fly, if you enjoy chucking those things.

Definitely much better fishing in the area. Unless you fish one of the heavily stocked clubs on the stream.

I have found perla nymphs in there over the years

I am going to fish the Tobyhanna this weekend weather permitting. I know that rain is in the forecast. I hope it doesn't get too high. I am planning on fishing wooly buggers.

I doubt that I will see any surface activity.

Little black stones hatching on McMichael's today (2 rises seen in 10 minutes), observed from a parking lot while I was working. Maybe on Tobyhanna, too??

I am watching the dots on the PA USGS Water Gauges on this website. Mother Nature, please keep them in the green and out of the blue/black. It is raining as I am typing.

Blue dots will probably ruin my fly fishing trip to the Tobyhanna that I planned eight weeks ago to coincide with my Remicade infusion. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, especially when planning eight weeks out in advance in the difficult month of March to pre-plan the weather.

I do have a Saturday meeting in White Haven that I want to attend. I just hope that I don't have to spend the rest of the weekend in Pocono bars watching NCAA Tournament basketball when I could save money doing that at home in Lancaster County.

If I have to watch basketball because the water is too high to fish, I want to watch the North Carolina Tar Heels win two games and make it to the next weekend.

When I use to fish ,I had a pattern that was copper body with black hackle, tied soft hackle style ,with a black rib and without ,worked great on the Tobyhanna

If you are in White Haven Saturday, fish the Lehigh. There is a scheduled fishing release this weekend. Water should be excellent fishing levels albeit on the cold side. Much better fishing than Toby anyway. PM me if you like.

Seems like everybody's experience is similar to mine with Tobyhanna. Mostly caddis and mayfly hatches sporadic at best.

Tigereye wrote:
If you are in White Haven Saturday, fish the Lehigh. There is a scheduled fishing release this weekend. Water should be excellent fishing levels albeit on the cold side. Much better fishing than Toby anyway. PM me if you like.

Is the road open that goes below the dam on the west side?

@ Millsertime

Yes, the gate is open March 1 through Columbus Day. Sometimes, though the gate is open, snowpack makes it impassable. This year you are ok.

https://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/Francis-E-Walter-Dam/Flow-Management-Plan-Schedule/

2019 FEW Release Schedule.

If the moderators want to move my post somewhere else, I understand.

I was on the Carbon County side of the Tobyhanna Creek today from noon until 3:00 pm. I caught four holdovers. Two browns and one each brookie and rainbow. All on two new fly rods.

I saw no insects hatch or trout rise. I caught them all on black cone-head wooly buggers. I was just glad to get out of the house and fish.

Back