Hatches and good flies for white clay creek

willdeb

willdeb

I have been looking for a hatch chart all over the Internet for white clay creek + I was wondering what are the best flies for white clay creek

I've seen occasional baetis hatches while out there, but with most of the trout having been stocked only three weeks ago I don't know if they are keyed into any hatches in particular.
That being said when it comes to dry flies my best luck have been with attractor patterns, but I catch way more fish with streamers or nymphs. Just about any streamer (usually size 10-12) I've used on the stream seems to catch at least one or two smallmouth and a few trout. PT and Hare's ear nymphs are productive for trout, panfish and chubs. Seems kind of like a generic answer for most of the streams in SE Pa. I'm sure SJ worms and most midges would work on the recently stocked trout as well.

mpschramm wrote:
I've seen occasional baetis hatches while out there, but with most of the trout having been stocked only three weeks ago I don't know if they are keyed into any hatches in particular.
That being said when it comes to dry flies my best luck have been with attractor patterns, but I catch way more fish with streamers or nymphs. Just about any streamer (usually size 10-12) I've used on the stream seems to catch at least one or two smallmouth and a few trout. PT and Hare's ear nymphs are productive for trout, panfish and chubs. Seems kind of like a generic answer for most of the streams in SE Pa. I'm sure SJ worms and most midges would work on the recently stocked trout as well.

Great answer. There are no magic flies. Most times the generic / widely used flies will catch fish in most any stream, especially in recently stocked streams.

I would agree with above. The best hatch chart for White Clay Middle Branch usually comes from A Sporting Gentleman fly shop website. It has not been updated since late October I believe.

Maybe if the fish start getting used to the warmer winters we seem to be having, the BWO hatches might start to catch on. Early January to March last year there was incredible BWO hatches, but nothing rising for them. Same with this September. Then again it is a stocked stream with little hold over, and gets poached.

Paulson wrote:
I would agree with above. The best hatch chart for White Clay Middle Branch usually comes from A Sporting Gentleman fly shop website. It has not been updated since late October I believe.
This was going to be my suggestion as well.

The new list of "Hot Flies for November" has been up, and will mostly hold true through the Winter months.

What was the water temp last year during the bwo hatch. might have been cold enough to keep the trout from rising.

I am not exactly sure, I saw most of them on breaks from runs and walks through the park. I saw a hatch coming off in October after the stocking, right above a group of fish and nothing rising for them.

The water is about to get cold here again...

The WCC dh section in PA has a limited number of hatches due to stream bed habitat getting covered with silt after runoff events like Sandy. It does support a little black stonefly hatch in the winter in late jan and early feb. effective flies have been listed in the flyfishingdelaware.com site blog since 2006.

Back