Harman's Log Cabins

P

paflyfisherman

Planning a trip to Harman's in May. Would appreciate any insight regarding whether or not to expect lots of other fishermen (crowded stream conditions). Any other related input as to what to expect will be appreciated.

Crowding was never a problem the times we have stayed there. Big ugly streamers seem to be the ticket although I did catch a few on top. My wife loves it there so we will be going back this fall. There are some great wild trout streams in the area in case you get your fill of the huge rainbows at Harmans. I will say that the fish do act like your typical stockers. They can put up a nice fight. In the fall, with the low water levels they can be somewhat difficult to fool.

I've been there 3 times. Go during the week and not weekend. It's cheaper and the creek is less crowded. It's never too crowded but the one time I went on the weekend it was noticeably more. My theory is they get more folks through the weekdays who fish less, or don't fish at all. Definitely check out the water on the other side...The third hole, I believe they call it...you need a 4wd vehicle and one you don't baby too much!!! It's a wild ride. I'd even walk it if that's your only option. As for flies and conditions, its different every time I go there. Buggers always work. We had success with an olive weenie. When I went in may, it was dry flies all day long. Big mayflies a size bigger than what I matched on the surface, seemed to do good. We will be there April 19 - 21. I cant wait!

eggs and crayfish flies...........never had a crowded day there in several trips

I will say that the fish do act like your typical stockers.

Meant to say they do NOT act like your typical stockers.

I have been there 3 times and will be there in May. Large streams throughout the day. In May you will have a good sulpher hatch in the evening. The fish are large and strong. Streamer fishing I'm on 3x and dries on 4x. That's a size larger than I normally use.

Is an oversize net (steelhead) a good idea?

I use my local trout net. Sometimes you might wish you had a bigger net.

Biggie, I think you and I met down there one time. Are you heading down this year??

I use my standard trout net.

Toutpoop, yes you were with your dad. I try to go a couple times a year. Didn't make any dates yet, but shooting for May or early June. What dates are you going?

I will actually be going to Harman's next week for my spring break. Didn't know it was such a popular place on here. Hopefully it gets just A LITTLE warmer for me next week...

any one have any area specific early- season advice? I'd appreciate it.

Just like any winter fishing,
Low and slow with above mentioned flies.

I have gone in April for a few years and you can get high flows due to snow melt in the mountains. May is my favorite time to go. I have done well on Wooley buggers, prince nymphs, pheasant tails and worm patterns. Crowds are never an issue and you can always find a spot to fish but during the week is much better. I find the fish are less spooky during the week. The walk to the third hole is not too bad. It takes a while to walk it and it stinks walking up that hill in waders. I recommend taking a backpack and throwing your waders in a backpack and dressing next to the stream. Fishing is good up there but fishing is good everywhere on the property. I am planning on going in early may. Watch for going when the big tournament is down there because they will not let you fish if you are not registered in the tournament. April 25-26 is the tournament.

I will actually be going to Harman's next week for my spring break. Didn't know it was such a popular place on here. Hopefully it gets just A LITTLE warmer for me next week...

any one have any area specific early- season advice? I'd appreciate it.

Pack your snowshoes and/or skis, drive on up into Canaan Valley and go play in the woods at WhiteGrass (http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html )....lots & lots of snow in them thar hills right now.

We are allowing Guests to fish during the Harman's North Fork Invitational this year.

Only 5 teams have been invited, so the stream will not be busy with competitors.

Back