Harman's in October

AnW

AnW

Since my PA trout season got put on hold so early this year, I booked a weekend in October at Harmans.

Anybody fish there in the fall before? Recommendations on flies to tie before the trip? Was figuring Slump Busters and Buggers (seems like olive are in order from searching previous posts).

Any recommendations for other areas or activities to explore nearby are also appreciated - not just fishing related as I'll be spending some time exploring the area with my non-fishing better half.

I've been down a few times in the fall and will be going again this October. When are you going? We will be down 10/9 - 10/15. I've always done well with big ugly black and olive streamers. Caught a few on top with CDC caddis.

I've been there in the fall, it's a great time to go. Water will most likely be low, but lots of fish, and a very nice place to stay. Make sure you drive up to dolly sods and hike around the bear rocks area, very nice and something you don't see in PA. Just to the south is Seneca rocks, there is a trail that climbs up the side of it, a tough short hike, but worth it for the view.
If you want to hit a cave, smoke hole is just up the road, but I think a less commercial option is Seneca Caverns, just south of Seneca Rocks.

Seneca Creek is nearby and has wild brook and rainbow trout. A nice change-up from the stocked fish at Harman's.

Ask ed Wooten, he is the gm and guide there currently. He was very nice and helpful to my wife and I on our honeymoon this summer. Nymphs with a hotspot under an indicator or a bigger dry was the ticket when we were there.

Thanks for the info guys. Definitely some things to check out. We'll probably fish in the morning and late afternoon and do some exploring in between.

Steveo - we'll be there Oct 9-11.

AnW,
We'll be in cabin 15 at the end of the road. Stop by if you get a chance.

We'll be in cabin 1. Pumped for the trip but hoping for rain!

Back