Hare's ear tail

J

jpb5002

What is the easiest to use for the tail of a hare's ear? I've been using zonker strips and hare's mask. They are both a pain. Just wanted to see what the skilled fly tyers are using these days.

i use pheasant tail for both the tail and thorax cover.of course this is wrong but it works for me.

i tye in the pheasant tail as a tail,dub the abdomen over,fold the pheasnt tail bac,dub the thorax then pull the cover over,tye off with a whip finish.i usually use gold wire instead of tinsel for the rib.

hackle fibers or pheasant tails work just fine...depends on the size...sometimes I'll even use deer or elk hair depending on what's already out on the bench.

I use a pinch of the hare's mask. Usually the areas that are more guard hairs, like the nose.

Depends on the recipe you are using. Some use hares mask and others use pheasant tail. I use pheasant tail. Only problem with that is they don't last as long as the fly. End up with a tailless nymph, but the fish don't seem to mind. In fact I'm not even sure if you can call what I tye a hares ear. The only thing that is the same is the tail and rib, which is the center of oval tinsel.

Tail: pheasant tail
Rib: gold tinsel
Body: squirrel
Thorax: Squirrel with guard hairs
Wingcase: goose wing feather

It catches fish. So what would you call it? Squirrel nymph.

I use turkey tail tied in like shakey's method.

Sometimes I use deer hair for the tail and turkey tail for the case.

I like a softer tail from some kind of game bird feather.

Generally I use a bunch of fibers from partridge feathers - especially the ones on a skin that are too big for decent soft hackles. Bunches of mallard, wood duck, or similar duck flank feather work in the same way. Some old-timers used to swear by using orange dyed mallard flank. Generally I like barred feathers in roughly the same shade as the hare's ear dubbing.

Back