Hardy Wide Spool "Taupo" & Young Pridex For Sale

Bamboozle

Bamboozle

I have a couple of nice reels, perfect for Spey or salmon fishing for sale:

First off is a brand new, unused Hardy 3-7/8” “Taupo” Wide Spool Perfect set up as LHW (easily reversed). I purchased this reel to use on a bamboo rod I own. I mounted it and decided it was too light. Other than that, it hasn’t left its box except to take pictures.

$460 Shipped CONUS. PayPal preferred with immediate shipping. Checks & money orders OK but NO shipping until cleared.

NOTE: The stated weight of 9.9 oz. from Hardy is INCORRECT. On my scale it weighs 7.8 oz.

Here is the other Hardy info:

- Made by Hardy Bros master craftsmen in Alnwick, England
- Wide spool design for better backing capacity
- Stainless ball bearings and time proven check system
- Sweet sounding, wide ranging check system
- Engineered from bar stock aluminium with naval brass 1pc spindle
- Deep anodised for strength and durability
- Ivorine handle
- Smooth satin dark gunmetal grey anodised finish
- Stainless ball bearings and time proven check system
- Easily changed from left to right hand wind
- Supplied in a soft leather, sheepskin lined reel pouch

The second reel is a smooth finish Young Pridex that is about the same diameter, 3-7/8 to 4” which weighs 8.2 oz. on my scale. Based on information from another website it is most likely from 1946-47.

The paint is in very good condition with almost no loss and only a few minor blemishes. Even though this is a two-pawl RHW reel, it works just fine and feels like a LHW reel as it is set up right now. I can’t explain why but simple pawl flip makes it an excellent LHW. It is nice & tight with no wobble but could use a cleaning and lube.

It came with the standard 3-screw LONG Young foot, (visible in first three photos) which doesn’t work on most modern reelseats HOWEVER, I have replaced the original Young foot with a custom Dan Hill One Pfoot 3-screw Young Pfoot. This replacement foot is NOT a stock OnePfoot item nor was it cheap, which is reflected in the overall price.

I am throwing in a decent neoprene reel pouch and the original Young long reel foot. I am not willing to sell it without the replacement foot.

$130 ppd Shipped CONUS. PayPal preferred with immediate shipping. Checks & money orders OK but NO shipping until cleared.

Back