Hardy Ultralite CLS

Char_Master

Char_Master

Any of you guys use(d) the older Hardy Ultralite CLS reels? I believe they were the first reel in the Ultralite series which has since produced many newer models, but I decided to pick up the original CLS with two extra spools included on clearance last night for $200 to use on my 10' 7wt. The reel is solid, nice appearance, light, easy to use, smooth drag, etc.. One thing I'm wondering about, however, is whether the drag is fully sealed. I saw a single person from an old thread on another forum say that they didn't think it had a sealed drag (although they never used one) and can't find anything else about whether the drag is sealed or it isn't. I have a habit of beating up and abusing reels (complete submersion while unhooking fish, silt dirt and sand getting into the rim when laying it down on land, fishing in the harshest cold weather, etc.) so a fully sealed drag is pretty important to me. Just looking for some input on that mainly. Going to test it out today and tomorrow to see how it performs steering Trout and Suckers.

Thanks for the help!

I've never used one but if you take the spool off you can look at tbe drag system to see if it is fully sealed.

I just picked up the 5-7 cls. Looks and feels great. Retails for $260.

Back