Hardy Rods

F

flyguyfishing

I was hoping some of you into vintage gear could help me.

What would be a reasonable price on a 1906 3-pc Hardy bamboo rod?

Seems to be in great shape. comes with original case and extra tip section of rod.

I do not know rod weight or length, but its probably 8'6". The seller knows the year by looking up the serial number....which I do not know.

thanks

I would talk to the guys on Clarks Classic Rod Forum. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Hey, this sounds familar.

What I've learned is its far less than you THINK its worth, because you see the fabulous prices that Hardy reels go for, and you see the sky high prices of well regarded cane makers, and you put 'em both together, right?

Wrong.

Surprisingly, it would seem that Hardy bamboo rods aren't all that well regarded. That 1915 8' Hardy Fairy included both tips, original ferrule plugs, and the sought after case. Everything is in very nice shape considering age, although its certainly well used. I paid $125 for it and it would appear I paid a low, but fair, price.

There was another model on eBay that was talked about in that thread. It was in pristine shape, original agate tip tops, original bag, and the "rare green reelseat." The asking price was about $500, and was called "steep."

As to the rod, are the tips straight and uncracked? Do they ahve the original agate insert tip tops? Does it come with the bag, and the ferrule plugs? The original bamboo rod case is rare because most of the time when they were shipped here I guess they didn't ship the cases alot.

The shorter the rod, the better the value. The lighter the line weight, the better the value.

Thanks!

I have never bought or fished with a vintage rod, so I appreciate the input. Now I know what to be looking at. I have no answer to these questions...yet.

If it is in good shape, would it be fishable?

I am not a collector. I would not use it everyday, but would only buy it if I could get it fishing several times a year.

I bought mine to sell someday, because I thought it was an awesome price...as I said, it was a fair price. Its fishable, but its a goddamned club and I'm cognizant of the fact that it might be worth much more when I'm dead and a kid finds it in the back of the closet.

Honestly, I get no pleasure from using bamboo. I get a bit of a thrill knowing that the rod is 96 years old and still fishable, but that's about the extent of it.

At the risk of irritting the tomato stick aficiandos, I think cane is silly. ;)

Back