Hardy 6000DD Reel

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

Anybody know anything about these? I got a Ross evolution LT4 and I'm just not thrilled with the drag.

if you buy a hardy reel, you'll then have to wear a tweed sport coat and a small wool cap when fishing, probably even smoke a pipe if you don't already. LOL!
seriously, hardy makes good stuff, been making good stuff for ever. I don't know that reel personally, but you probably won't go wrong with it.

I don't know anything about that reel but would like to hear a little more about the Evo LT problem as I plan on getting one. By the accounts I have heard, it is among the best reels on the market.

i wouldn't buy any of the new Hardy reels...

Korean junk living off the name of the solid english made products

It is really light and that's why I went for it but I had my wife pull line out through my 7wt with it on and even at the tightest setting it was easy for her to keep pulling line. I had her hold onto the rod while I pulled line out at the same setting and I must admit the drag seemed barely noticeable.

Now granted, I realize this may translate differently with a fish but compared to the TFO 375 and the Loop danielson I had before it was easier to get line out at maximum drag.

The other concern I had was with start-up. There seems to be a noticeable pause before start-up at almost all settings. This seems to be consistent with all the reels I have had except for the Loop which was amazingly smooth at start-up. I realize there will always be a certain amount of pause but I was hoping there would be less than what I noticed.

I don't know that the Hardy would be any better in these departments but I guess those are the aspects of the two reels I would like to compare as their price points seem and builds seem comparable.

You should contact Ross as you have a defective reel. Seriously, give them a call.

Edit: And if you still don't want it, I will trade you a brand spanking new Lamson Litespeed HardAlox for it. Or a Orvis BLA III.

Double edit: Meh, noticed it's a 4. My 7-9 wt is a Lamson Litespeed HardAlox with a spare spool that I keep sinking line on. Can't trade. Oh well, call Ross up and tell them to send ya a new one. The Evolution is a great and proven reel. The LT uses the same drag system as the Evolution, they just cut some weight off while at the same time added more metal.

Thanks for the heads up, I will probably see if they can look at it over the winter.

I'm still curious about this Hardy, it received good reviews. Part of me is tempted to go over to Hardy north America and check it out, they're only right down the road in our township.

There's something wrong with your Evolution. I have original Evo's, LT's, and Rhythms. All have the same drag, and will stop a train if needed (and freespool on the other end). I did look at one Evo LT in a shop, and its drag adjustment was a bit rough compared to the others there, and the Evo's I own. Either your dealer or Ross will get you squared away quickly.

TimRobinsin wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, I will probably see if they can look at it over the winter.

I'm still curious about this Hardy, it received good reviews. Part of me is tempted to go over to Hardy north America and check it out, they're only right down the road in our township.

Dude, that's a HARDEE'S.

At one point I was considering looking into working in the warehouse they built over by our rec center. It's literally right down the road from our house....eh, maybe sometime.

It's probably worth checking out (the Hardy). I know one thing, I looks gorgeous.

Even if it is made in Korea.. I hear they're still pretty stout reels.

Send your LT back in for a check up. Usually you will have it back within a week or sooner. You would be downgrading significantly in switching to the Korean Hardy.

Ramcatt wrote:
Korean junk living off the name of the solid english made products

If you want competitive pricing, its gonna be off shored. That's just the way it is anymore.

Now, with that I'd far prefer, collectability, wise an English made reel, but from what I understand the Korean reels are every bit as well made as the English reels, if not better in some regards. If I were buying as a fisherman, I'd take the cheaper option (which is probably used Alnwick reel, fwiw).

I have the Momentum LT4 and the drag is flawless but is worthless on those sub 32 degree mornings. It also has an outgoing click that seems to drop out when wet.
I actually prefer the Nautilus FW7 over the Ross for its light weight and wider drag range. I've put a lot of miles on this reel.
I also use a 4" Lamson Hard Alox on the long rod. Poor start up inertia but, I'm not fishing light line with it. IMO, an ugly reel.
I have an early made Loop Traditional that has hardly any startup inertia due to the fact it has no useful drag. Strictly an old school palming reel with a crude overrun adjustment.
My workhorse is the Nautius in Black. It's a cool looking reel.

If you want competitive pricing, its gonna be off shored. That's just the way it is anymore.

i don't disaggree
but in this case, you are buying a name... a name that has gone strong for 100+ years... I have some of the old english reels, and they are worth the $$ imo... the only thing "Hardy" about these new imports is the logo sticker

for my korean reels... TFO
the new BVK is sweet

Ramcatt wrote:
but in this case, you are buying a name... a name that has gone strong for 100+ years... I have some of the old english reels, and they are worth the $$ imo... the only thing "Hardy" about these new imports is the logo sticker

We're on the same page, but the way I think about it is that if the price is right, go for it. Buying a modern Korean Hardy because its a Hardy is stupid. Buying a modern Korean Hardy because it meets your price point and you like it is another.

I have no idea what the DD reels go for. I know the CC reels are much less than the Sage Click, though.

yeah
the only thing to watch out for with these new breed of asian reels is silent retrieve... garbage

the reel will pick up line while casting

Back