Hardwood Fly Boxes

B

bkasten

My dad and I started making fly boxes from exotic hardwoods about 2 years ago. It has been a really great hobby for us and we are really pleased with the results. I just thought that I would share them with you all to see what you thought.

The three here are purple heart, padauk (the orange one) and black walnut. I think that the woods are absolutely amazing, the colors completely natural. My dad did the inlay on the walnut box.

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think!

Attachments

• P4290003_2.jpg
    P4290003_2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 10
  • P4290005_2.jpg
    P4290005_2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 5
  • P4290007_2.jpg
    P4290007_2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 5
  • P4290009_2.jpg
    P4290009_2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 3
  • P4290010_2.jpg
    P4290010_2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 5
  • P4290011_2.jpg
    P4290011_2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 3
  • P4290016_2.jpg
    P4290016_2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 5
Very nice. I assume you know the paduk and purple heart will darken significantly (still a nice color though).

Did you guys cut them in half, then glue up or use a plunge router with spiral upbit to get the material out of the middle?

Waterfall bubinga, zebrawood, curly cherry, birdseye maple, possibilities are endless!

Nice job.

Edit: Oh, nice job on the inlay. I am not a big fan of inlays like that, rather I just like borders and whatnot, but nice detail work.

Yes we did cut the boxes in half and then used a router with a jig to remove the wood to make the "shells." And I have noticed the color changes in the wood, I think they get better and better the more I use them. Thanks for the compliments!

Very nice!

Very nice job! Did you ever think about selling them?

PaulG

We have thought about selling them but really had no idea what they are "worth" or how to go about it. Thanks for the compliments!

Those are awesome! Nothing beats wood

Looking good!! Any for sale??

Judging by how expensive a decent fly box is ($45?), the craftsmanship, and just how awesome they look - I'd say easily $100 - $150 a piece depending on the species of wood.

And I'm a woodworker

Those are really beautiful! Is that an oil finish? Are they much heavier than the usual plastic boxes?
I saw some wooden boxes at the Sommerset show That I think were made by a Japanese company. They were selling for more that $100 each. You could try the ebay store route or just set up a simple web page to see if there are any takers. I'm sure they would sell.

Gorgeous boxes. I'd definetely buy the one with the trout on it. $100 is a fair price.

Yeah I was going to say 100+.

I think you would definitely get some business from fly fisherman looking for a nice box, but I think you would get more business from those looking for a nice decorative piece. Those would look killer on the wall of my cabin filled with some beautiful traditional wet flies

FYI, Orvis has Wheatley curly maple and walnut marked down from $180 to $80.

Back