Hard water critter

salmonoid

salmonoid

The water wasn't warm on this day (nor was the fish caught on the fly), but the fish is a warm water species.

Scroll through the pictures in the theater - fascinating to look at the photo of him releasing the musky back through the hole in the ice.

https://www.facebook.com/colangelo85/posts/955546904457469

Wonder if jigging a big Gummy Minnow or streamer would gain a similar result?

Wow, that is an enormous muskie - def 40lb class. Nice to see he put it back. Incidentally caught muskies are often kept. Also, note he got three that same day and lower down the FB post is a pic of one of the others, a very nice upper 40 inch fish as well.

Giant muskies through the ice are not that uncommon. Unlike pike, few folks target them from the ice, but there are big ones caught pretty frequently. The NJ state record muskie was an ice fish. They can be pretty aggressive in cold water.

Wow, that fish is a monster.

GenCon

Winter is the only time I have ever actually caught a muskie and they are always accidental catches while bass fishing....so yeah they can definitely remain rather active in the cold. I think that it may be time that I start targeting them specifically with a fly rod.

Back