Harbor Freight

salmo

salmo

I am always looking around to save a few cents here and there, particularly when it comes to fly tying tools and materials. You will often see me in Michaels, hardware stores, Hobby Lobby and beauty supply shops. Harbor Freight has a few items which might be helpful. I made my own dubbing brush with a popsicle stick and stick on velcro. Harbor Freight has a set of 6 tube brushes which are much better for small flies and easier to handle.
image_24988.jpg
They also have a set of tweezers. These are pretty good for picking up and holding hooks. The
image_24988.jpg
reverse tweezers are particularly handy for picking up an holding beads when tying nymphs.

image_13819.jpg

They also have a hook and pick set or test probe set. The test probe set can be used or picking out dubbing or trapped hackle or even applying head cement or epoxy. You can get all three for about $15.00. Perfect for the beginner or a guy whose cheap, like me. :)

I am going to hit up michaels and go on a foam, bead chain, and craft fur rampage here soon

I am going to hit up michaels and go on a foam, bead chain, and craft fur rampage here soon
I hear Hob-Lob sometimes has peacock herl... and also beads of all colors and sizes, if that's your thing.

Been there. Have you tried this stuff? Half the price of the fly shop sturr.

I hav purchases Czech beads and glass breads of all sizes. Elastic beading material to wrap nymphs. And plastic bead boxes for hook and bead organizers

Hobby Lobby is dog friendly

I hear Hob-Lob sometimes has peacock herl... and also beads of all colors and sizes, if that's your thing.
The feather quality is not good I don’t recommend it except for the Marabou

The feather quality is not good I don’t recommend it except for the Marabou
Agree with the quality comment, but they sell feathers to decorate hats and dream-catchers - not to catch fish. Lately one of my sons is tying big zonkers, mice, drunk & disorderly, etc. flies. This has forced the money-providers in the family to default to frugality over feather quality when it comes to material purchases... Except for hooks... we still let him buy quality hooks.

I bought hemostats at HF, and they seem fine.

I buy lots of tools there for working around the house and on the cars.
While not the best quality, - for occasional use, their stuff works fine for me.

I've picked hemostats, tweezers, and a punch set that let's me punch foam circles up to an inch in diameter from craft foam. I use them for some of my bass and panfish flies. I browse the various craft stores. I mainly buy foam sheets. Not impressed by either the feathers or the marabou I've seen though I did pick some decent Guinea hen feathers that I used for large spiders. They have a good selection of chenilles but a skein is several lifetimes of supply for me. I use the pins with the round plastic heads as eyes on some of my flies. I buy the small plastic boxes that hold photographs. The 4"x 6" and the 6"x8". I line them with 6 mm white foam and make my own fly boxes. A UV light and a couple of bottles of UV. The light cures fine but the resins not so much.

I think for a home owner, their tools and prices are great. If it was my profession, I'd pass.

I think for a home owner, their tools and prices are great. If it was my profession, I'd pass.
Wasn't there a thread a little while ago discussing Harbor Freight? Seem to remember the slogan being kicked around for them as "Harbor Freight, it's good enough!"

FWIW, I agree with you. I would probably not purchase many of their tools for professional use. For occassional use, hell yeah,

My favorite HF fly tying tool. $4.99
IMG 0762

I buy their other tools to cut up. They sell mini pliers for 2 bucks that make great crab claws
Horseshoe 3

I've picked hemostats, tweezers, and a punch set that let's me punch foam circles up to an inch in diameter from craft foam. I use them for some of my bass and panfish flies. I browse the various craft stores. I mainly buy foam sheets. Not impressed by either the feathers or the marabou I've seen though I did pick some decent Guinea hen feathers that I used for large spiders. They have a good selection of chenilles but a skein is several lifetimes of supply for me. I use the pins with the round plastic heads as eyes on some of my flies. I buy the small plastic boxes that hold photographs. The 4"x 6" and the 6"x8". I line them with 6 mm white foam and make my own fly boxes. A UV light and a couple of bottles of UV. The light cures fine but the resins not so much.
Some of my best resin I buy from fingernail supply stores. It cures very quickly and very hard. It also applies well.

Back