Handling of Trout

fly_flinger

fly_flinger

I have a question about handling large trout. Unfortunately, I don't catch very large trout and so I haven't really handled any. There's a picture of a guy holding a large little lehigh trout by the lower lip on the fly shops website. I never read or saw anyone holding a trout like this but wondered if it hurts the trout when they are that big?

Anyone luckier than me and can answer whether or not large trout are harmed by holding them from the lip?

Thanks

Although I have no proof, I don't think that holding a fish up by the lip is good for it. I always cradle mine gently with two wet hands
What he is doing reminds me of those bass fisherman on those saturday morning outdoor shows. I wonder if he gave it a big kiss

dryflyguy - I find your reply offensive. The guy that caught that fish is a friend of mine - he catches more big fish on the Little Lehigh than most people that fish there. He's a very experienced fisherman that works hard at catching big fish.
That fish was netted by the owner of the fly shop using a very large boat net with a deep bag. The fish was just too big to fit in a large sized catch and release trout net. To remove the fish from the bag, my friend had to reach an arms length down into the bag and pick the fish out. The only way to do that was with one arm and he chose the best way to handle the fish and remove the fly from it's mouth. That stretch of stream is no wading, so the fish had to come out of the water to be released, hence the large net. His fish handling method required the least amount of handling for that particular fish, in that particular situation.
Kissing fish? Does he look like Jimmy Houston? I certainly hope he doesn't see your post - why would anyone try to tarnish a very memorable moment like that? :evil:

Here's a good article on how to release trout safely (for the trout). Large fish are discussed.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/release/index.html

Heritage-Angler writes:
why would anyone try to tarnish a very memorable moment like that?

Whatever you post on the internet is going to get some criticism. I've seen fights break out over the stupidest things. Take the bitter with the better, as they say.

H.A.,
I don't think he meant to offend anyone. It was a simple question that has come up before, and even though the post mentioned your friend, I don't believe it to be an affront to you or your friend. However, I thought Tom could have composed the shot better and I'm sure that he's caught plenty of fish, but don't hold a fish by the gills or gill plate if you plan on returning it to the stream. Not meant to offend, just interested in what's best for the released fish. Get it out of the water and support the body of the fish when a fish is that big, get the pic, and put it back quickly. There are places along that section that you can get close to the water and not have to lift the fish like that, especially if you have a big net.
Don't forget that guys do over-react on this site to things they don't take the time to think about first. Lord knows I've been blasted many times. I take it with a grain of salt most of the time.
Again no offence intended. :)
Chaz

He's actually holding the fish by the gills, not the lower lip. I have seen professionals do this on TV fishing shows before they release them, and it always made me cringe. Heritage Angler noted in an earlier post about this nice catch that Tom Draher was careful not to touch the gills, so I guess its possible to grasp the gill cover without sticking your fingers into the gills (much?), but I never tried it. Is it just a matter of not sticking your fingers in very far? With a fish this big, it may be better to lift it by the gill cover if it can be done without touching the gills, because you could do a lot more damage to its insides if you squeezed them excessively by supporting that much weight? You have to remember that fish are normally supported in a bouyant environment, and their internal organs aren't used to having a lot of pressure on them. You have to remember this even when handling small fish, because its easy to squeeze them a bit too much while trying to remove a hook, etc.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
dryflyguy - I find your reply offensive. The guy that caught that fish is a friend of mine - he catches more big fish on the Little Lehigh than most people that fish there. He's a very experienced fisherman that works hard at catching big fish.
That fish was netted by the owner of the fly shop using a very large boat net with a deep bag. The fish was just too big to fit in a large sized catch and release trout net. To remove the fish from the bag, my friend had to reach an arms length down into the bag and pick the fish out. The only way to do that was with one arm and he chose the best way to handle the fish and remove the fly from it's mouth. That stretch of stream is no wading, so the fish had to come out of the water to be released, hence the large net. His fish handling method required the least amount of handling for that particular fish, in that particular situation.
Kissing fish? Does he look like Jimmy Houston? I certainly hope he doesn't see your post - why would anyone try to tarnish a very memorable moment like that? :evil:

They could have layed the net down on the ground, removed the fly and cradled the fish back into the water. (with a picture taken on the way) There were at least two people there. There was no reason to risk the damage possible by holding a fish like that, no matter how experienced the guy is. Pictures like that only encourage inexperienced anglers to handle their fish like that. Take a look at the reference Padraic provided. I believe it is #3 that says "never handle a fish by the gills".

It is a nice fish, a catch of a lifetime, tarnished by the handling. He chose the way to hold it. He deserves what he gets.

Maurice

heritage angler

I didn't mean to offend your friend - I just don't think that's the proper way to hold a big trout. If one of my fishing buddies had done that, I would have told them so also

"Little Lehigh Fly Shop Fly fishing class graduate" I guess they didn't cover handling and releasing fish. Why endanger the fish at all for a picture? Isn't the memory of the catch enough?

It certainly is legitimate to question or protest the handling method used, but salvelinus, I think you're piling on a bit to criticize taking a picture at all. We have a photo section on this site that is well stocked with fish photos, and I think most people especially wouldn't pass up an opportunity to get a picture of a "fish of a lifetime". Just do it the safest way possible.

Pictures are a great way to revisit your trips and fish caught. My room is full of them as I'm sure many of yours are aswell. As fly fisherman and sportsman it is of great importance to practice safe fish handling. As a slatwater guide im used to handling tough fish but each species is a little different when it comes to sensitivity. I think of trout as fragile and handle them in that way. Take pictures to enjoy but handle the fish with great care, especially trout. If you have to forfit a picture to release a great fish well then, look twice and engrave it in memory. Always remember that conservation is one of our main goals.

We have a photo section on this site that is well stocked with fish photos

Yes, and before we all get our noses twisted too far out of joint... go through those photos and check out how many of the trout are being laid out on dry ground when they are photographed. Most of us are guilty of a little mishandling from time to time.

I'm not thrilled with the way the trout is being handled in that picture either. But then again, I can't say for sure if I haven't killed a few fish inadvertantly.

Well if I have a trout that is really flopping around and hard to control I'd rather have it flopping around on the ground in some grass then in my net getting its fins ripped and slim all taken off in the net. I think if I would have been them I would have placed the big trout on the ground until I got the fly out or at least let the net down on the ground and tried to slide the fish out towards the net opening so you could grab it instead of reaching way down in the net, then taken a quick pic supporting it behind the head and lower belly, and then quickly release it back in the water. I have pictures of trout that I caught when I was a kid and yes they were all big stockies that I kept but I even frown at my own pics even though we ate those fish.

Thats an awesome brown that was caught but the way it was being held was the first thing that caught my attention. Even with an explination it still makes me cringe a little but when you get caught up in the moment we all do stupid things sometimes and I bet if he could do it over again he would have taken the pic a different way. Only fish I will hold like that are pike and muskies but even there I make sure I'm just holding the plate and competely missing the gills and I never try to hold them very long like that.

Anyways hopefully the fish wasn't harmed at all which I really doubt it was and the guy who caught the fish can maybe catch him again someday and take a better pic.

Big John,

Nice post. I agree with all your points except...
Well if I have a trout that is really flopping around and hard to control I'd rather have it flopping around on the ground in some grass then in my net getting its fins ripped and slim all taken off in the net.

A good catch and release net would make that a non-issue. They are pricey, but there isn't much about flyfishing that isn't. IMHO they are definately worth it.

Anyway, I hope in the next couple days, that guy can get back to the LL and visit that monster again. And we can all hear that it's doing just fine.

Padriac, you captured my thoughts. As long as a conscientious effort was made to minimize harm to the fish I can’t second guess an angler. I can remember a number of times during each season when I released a trout that I thought “Sorry guy I didn’t meant to do that to you. Hope you make it.” The only alternatives are to keep all you catch or don’t fish at all. ANyway after seeing the pictures I know where I'm spending my day off tomorrow!

I saw that photo about a week ago and just now read this post here.

My initial...knee jerk reaction to seeing that photo was....

"That fish is dead."

Which I still believe. Too bad

I can't tell if it is dead ,but I can not see holding a fish that way. Even if he didn't harm the gills the strain on its gut couldn't be good, or it's jaw for that matter.I've caught some BIG salt water fish and never would hold one up by its jaw, unless i intended to keep it..most likely that brown either was a wash mout from the hatchery or came up from the river to spawn. I know there are lots of big browns like that down at the mouth of the little lehigh but you have to carry a 9mm. with you in that area.. :)

Back