handiest "gadget"?

C

coyote

putting aside "essentials" (such as nippers, hemostats/pliers, etc.)...

what oddball fishing gadget would you hate to be without?

Thanks!

Digital thermometer

good one, Ryan!

perhaps the dumbest question ever, but...how does it help you?

My trusty EZ-Lap hook hone when I miss a couple in a row.

My Hat Eyes so I can see to sharpen my hook.

My Swiss Army knife with the saw blade so I can cut off the branch I keep getting snagged on after I sharpen my hook.

A head lamp so I can find my way out of the woods after I cut the branch to retrieve my fly.

A flask, because of all of the above.

Smith creek rod holder is pretty nice. Holding a rod under your arm for a while can get uncomfortable.

coyote wrote:
good one, Ryan!

perhaps the dumbest question ever, but...how does it help you?

I don't worry about temps much in the summer months as I fish alot of tailwaters. However, this time of year the difference between 38 and 40 isn't just two degrees :lol: Finding water that is just a little warmer can make a big difference in how active the fish are. Tempature change also plays a huge role in what kind of water I'm fishing. The warmer the water the more spots I will fish with moving currents. As the temps get colder the deeper and/or slower water is all I will fish.

thanks for all the replies!

Great stuff!

I guess it qualifies as a gadget: I have a magnetic net holder that allows me to carry handle down from the back of my vest. Way easier than trying to manage a bungee cord lanyard around my neck, the way I used to do it.

O’Pros belated clip rod holder....a little expensive for what it is but works great.

Bottle opener.

Anymore, it's one of my UL backpacking stoves. Good for having a hot meal streamside on an all day outing during colder weather.

I have two:

MSR Pocket Rocket - Good for boiling water for dehydrated meals, or coffee.

Firebox Nano - Mini wood burning stove. Better for actual cooking over a more moderate heat.

My Ty-Rite hook snare! I fish a ton of tiny flies, and this thing has made it so much easier to hold and spin the fly when tying them onto my tippet.

Back