Handel repair

T

tracker12

Have a reel seat on a fly rod Handle that turns. Does the reel seat need to be pulled off to repair. Not sure how it is assembled.

tracker12 wrote:
Does the reel seat need to be pulled off to repair. Not sure how it is assembled.

Yeah. It needs re-glued.

If I'm reading your post correctly, it's the seat that is loose, correct? If the cork is loose rather than the seat, it is a much more difficult repair. The following is how I would repair a loose seat.

Wrapping the seat and handle in a plastic bag and heating it in a pot of hot water on the stove will usually allow you to quickly remove an epoxied seat. You want to only submerge the seat, otherwise you could loosen the cork too. The bag will prevent damage to the cork or wood insert (assuming there is one). If the seat is a wood insert style and just the threaded metal part is loose, heat until that part comes free and then stop. If the wooden insert is still firmly attached you just need to re-glue the threaded part and butt cap. If the wood is loose, you need to remove that too.

Uplocking seats with a hood hidden in the cork can be tricky as this part of the grip that covers the hood is thin and fairly fragile.You might not be able to get the hood out from the cork. If the rest of the seat comes off OK, leave the upper hood in the cork and just be sure to put a dab of epoxy in there when reassembling.

Once you get the seat off you can re glue with epoxy. 5 or 30 min epoxy is good choice. I recommend completely dissembling the seat and re-gluing all the components before gluing it to the rod. If the threaded barrel, butt cap, etc do not come off, put the seat back in the bag and into the hot water for a bit until they are free.

Thanks. I had this happen to one under warranty so I sent it back. I have an older rod that is also loose so I figured it was time to repair it

Back