Hackle Pliers for tiny flies

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I have the hardest time tying small flies because my hackle pliers are too heavy. Anyone have any remedies or places i can find smaller hackle pliers?

Alligator clips, with a bit of heat shrink tubing melted on to the upper and lower jaws for traction, work well for me.

They are alot lighter than standard hackle pliers, and you can make a bunch of them cheaply. I prefer them to my standard hackle pliers when working with small hackles (#22s, #24s, etc.).

Hope that helps.

The 'tear drop' style can have a semi pointed tip so it seems they would be a logical choice, and they're a tight grip!

Something like this comes to mind.
Tear Drop Hackle Pliers

whiting 100's?!?!

or
spend a bunch on "good" hackle pliers. I think I have dr. slicks that were like $30 and they give and swivel when the human hand applies weird pressures.

Some people hate them, but I've switched to the clip style of hackle pliers, and they do a great job with small hackle, and they're cheap ($3.95). You can get them from Feather Craft here's a link to the page: Ez Mini Hackle Pliers

ip006214.jpg

"Fly Tyers Heaven" in Sunbury, Pa. also carries them. I bought mine there.

i bought my first one from feathercraft. still use them. i bought 2 back-ups at radioshak for about half the price and use one of them to hold a small fly when tying it to my tippet

I use the tear drop hackle pliers, but they still slip sometimes.
I'll have to try one of those clip style kind

for that price go to radio shack and get a whole pack of them. and they come in 2 sizes.

"Some people hate them, but I've switched to the clip style of hackle pliers, and they do a great job with small hackle, and they're cheap ($3.95). You can get them from Feather Craft here's a link to the page: Ez Mini Hackle Pliers"

I've been using these for decades, work fine for all size hackle.

Back