Gunpowder River, MD

TDB

TDB

Has anyone fished this river lately? Am thinking about a trip there this weekend. Any advice/help/tips would be appreciated. Would like to try to find some deeper fast water for nymphing.

Call up the guys at the Backwater Angler.

Take a kayak or innertube and leave the rod at home.

Seriously, thye release water in the 400-600 range on the weekends for the floaters. Not only is it distracting by dangerous to wade the upper river.

Try the Backwater Angler website

http://www.backwaterangler.com/ on the right is the river guage. look at the spike and plateau for the entire weekend. There is also articles about this very question on the home page.

That said, I had good luck in the Bluemont area with buggers swung in the current. If there is a boulder or undercut bank, you will find fish there. They are getting out of the way when the releases occur.

Good luck.

I happened to fish it last night. Had decent action with an EHC. The flow is coming down from earlier this week and I had no problem wading. Good Luck.

Steve

It was as high as they've seen it in years when I was there and Ian and I managed a few fish. Nymphs, buggers, and tricos in the morning were the key.

The guys at backwater angler were great. Saved the day by renting me a pair of wading boots since I forgot mine due to foggy headed 4am departure. Very helpful, and great to talk to.

We were there today and did good. I ended hooking a decent amount of fish and landed a beautiful 20" brown. All nymphs. The water was great at 230 cfs.. Backwater angler guys were great too. - It looks like they posted our success on there website.. I'll have to send Theux a pic.

Back