GUIDES....good, bad &/ or lazy

BruceC2C

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt
Had a really bad experience today on Guided Float trip on Yakima River.

Just kinda need to get this off my chest.

This river has a great reputation, but my understanding is the bite has been below average recently.

I am fine with accepting the facts of the conditions...but what REALLY upset me was for 95% of our 4.5 hrs drift....NoNameGuide, had us throwing the SAME tandem rig of Pat's Stone and Perdigon.

THE SAME UNPRODUCTIVE F__cking Rig...
95% of the time.!!!

If I am fishing by myself...and not much is working...I think I am correct that any skilled angler will make NUMEROUS rig changes and varied deliveries to find a productive approach.

About the only thing NoNameGuide did was change the indicator depth.

This guide was a "last minute substitution"
( 2 day advance notice for the guide)
showing up in FlipFlops and board shorts...
happy to share his bag of almonds, but offered no water. ( I know I am knit picking)

To his credit he was VERY good at frequently checking score of the Mariners game.

Trout tally for the day, 2 FF in boat...6 Trout.

All thoughts welcome, please .

ThankYou for allowing me the space here to rant and express my disappointment

Did you discuss the situation with the outfitter/guide that you booked the trip with? I think that as long as you make it clear that you don't expect the guide to work magic, you have valid complaints. It sounds like the guide didn't want to be anything more than a river taxi. Outfitters need this feedback on their guides, they can only assume that their clients are happy if nothing is said.

Had similar situation where guide was a "river taxi" basically had us throwing buggers at the shoreline. In his defense the water was high but this was un productive. I think because you only had one shot in each spot and the boat was going too fast making our presentation too fast.

My friend and I asked if he could hold the boat in position while we worked likely shore line structure more thoroughly.

We turned getting shut out for 4 hours into 2 remaining hours of raucous action. Landing 16 fish in the remaining 2 hours and losing or missing a bunch too.

Though not a complete disaster. The guide was a little green and said he was embarrassed that we taught him a few tricks. It's all about sharing knowledge and I wouldn't hesitate Booking him again. Always make the best of situation. I am not naive enough to think guides are the magic answer to all fishing woes. But, they should be adaptable and cater to you, the client. If you book a float trip and want to spend the day photographing flowers, he should oblige. It's your dime.

I already have plans to book with White Fly Outfitters in Harpers Ferry next year. 2 trips down, 2 great guides. Last trip I was asked by the guide what I planned on using. I told him my plan, unless he had a better one. He did, it worked, but he never stopped me from trying my own thing. Just stopped me from using it for too long when it wasn’t producing.

Steve

How much was the float?

How much did you tip , if at all?

I’ve been very lucky in the few times I had a guide- all floats.

Actually one was Capt Scott Hamilton in Florida , where a few other fly anglers on here have used. Normally we would have went out but we stayed in the bays because of rough seas- which I appreciated, also , Scott went so far as to say pay what you want I don’t want an upset client. He worked as best he could to get my step son and myself into a couple fish and was a pleasant enough outing but as far as his trips it was poor which he readily admitted. I paid him the full price of the trip but no tip- because the trip was not as advertised.

Once through West Branch Anglers they hooked me up w a retired state biologist who knew his stuff on the big D. He worked hard , so hard he was not at all into small talk and preferred to keep eyes out for risers. That day I had 3-4 browns in the 20 plus inch range on- 2 were sulphuric dries near sewage plant but lost them. Actually I had not boated a fish all day and it was pretty much dark and we were 200 yards or so to take out and I hooked into a large brown. It still maybe my largest wild brown. Made the day!!

Raincoast Guides in WA was excellent- recommend them.

Matt Kolulacuk out of Feathered hook for a small mouth float on big J was fine too.

Attachments

• 49A67312-AC76-4F50-B971-DF15968CC65C.jpeg
    49A67312-AC76-4F50-B971-DF15968CC65C.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I am fine with accepting the facts of the conditions...but what REALLY upset me was for 95% of our 4.5 hrs drift....NoNameGuide, had us throwing the SAME tandem rig of Pat's Stone and Perdigon.

THE SAME UNPRODUCTIVE F__cking Rig...
95% of the time.!!!

did you think about just changing your own flies?

The only times I've used a guide was when I hunted the Edmonton Bow Zone in Alberta, Canada. A non-resident MUST be guided to hunt in Canada, unless you're lucky enough to be "hosted" by a resident.

Back to fishing... :)

I've had a guide off Andros Island yell at me for missing a cast. I chalked that up to the guide wanting me on fish and looking back it added to the experience.

2019 booked a boat trip on the South Holston as part of a several day fly fishing excursion around TN & VA border. This outing would involve me and my two buddies. Reputable local outfitter that I booked in advance was SUPER nice and responsive.

Obviously, we needed two boats with three rods. Not a problem. Problem was the outfitter had a last minute conflict and would send his replacement. We knew going into the trip, the other guy on the sticks was a new young guide. Not a problem. We simply had our new guy float with him.

The two new guys in the boat, both with "eyes wide open" and with a methodical approach, stuck toads all day long. Our replacement was a slug. All we repeatedly asked is that he put us in position of fishable water. Despite a floatable level, it was a physical struggle for him. In fact, I had to ask several times, when I did stick a long distance fish to have the net ready. He lost my biggest fish of the day, cause he could not get up and properly net the toad. He actually punched this fish in the head and she broke off. LOL.

This dude learned that I was from Chester County (close to Lancaster County) and wanted to know more about the Amish the ENTIRE float!? Too much conversation about the Amish for my money. LOL. Oh, and he also took way too big of a swig on my flask and repeated to tell me my Bourbon was too hot! LOL.

Lastly, yielding the front to my best buddy, who can thread a needle, I had to see this dudes A** crack all day. LOL.

I tipped him accordingly at the take out. BTW - I'd float with this outfitter again, but would not want or ask for his replacement.

FF553DE2 19AB 4F81 9B86 24B58074AE7C

Hmmmm?

I’m glad to see you posted your questions on the Washington board as those guys are more familiar with the Yakima than we are here in PA. The PNW forum would probably have been an even better forum. However, the best place to ask questions and express your concerns would have been with your guide during your float.

Back