Guided Lake Ontario Tributaries Trip - Reel Action Fly Fishing

Luke

Luke

In my years of fly-fishing, I have never taken the opportunity to go pursue steelhead, salmon, or lake-run brown trout.

That is about to change in 2015 because last night at the local TU banquet I won a guided trip with Reel Action Fly Fishing Web Site who specializes in this type of guiding and operates out of Rochester, NY.

So now I am wondering what would be the best time of year (specific week) to target for this type of trip. They have both spring trips and fall/winter trips. I would prefer to not freeze to death.

Thanks for any experienced advice before I contact them to reserve the trip!

October!! The WX is sometimes wet but not cold.
Hope this helps
Sean

Luke, if you want to catch salmon, go the first half of October. If you want big browns, mid Oct. to mid November. If you want steelhead, anytime after mid October. Doesn't usually get too cold up there untill first half of November. Good luck, when you go. I have been going to that area for 25 years and still can't get enough of it. My avatar brownie came from the Oak Orchard in mid October.

Thanks Biggie and Toofish!

The brownies look just fierce and awesome.

What fights the best? What hits the best and would provide the most hook-ups per day?

which fights the best?........salmon fight like a carp, browns are mostly deep runners with a few jumps..........steelies give the best battles of the three, but the best fighting fish up there is the atlantic salmon, but they are far and few between..........also the cohos are a blast if you get a fresh one.

Talk to Paul he is one of the guides tell him what you want and he will make it happen. I had a blast catching Browns in NY with him. Make sure you tip though. It's worth the trip but fyi they use trout beads so if you are one of those guys that considers it snagging you may have your mind blown after 20+ day and your arm tired. Top water brown action was really cool to fun time skating a bugger or mouse fly. Congrats

You're about to have a new "problem". Nothing like the Ontario tribs. I love them. I know you will as well. Have fun!

This is a nice brown from my trip

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 2
I would suggest the first 2 weeks of October. That gives you the best chance for the overlap of all the runs. You can get the tail end of the king salmon run and overlap into the steelhead and browns. Coho's are a game of luck but it could happen. They run the whole river in a matter of days.

Back