Guide Spools, Fluorocarbon Tippet

D

Dale49

I am looking to purchase guide spools of fluorocarbon tippet (100 meters or 100 yards). Having looked at several web sites, I find that the Orvis Mirage fluorocarbon tippet is the most inexpensive compared to Rio, Umpqua and others. I haven't used the Mirage fluorocarbon tippet material. Does anyone have any experience with the Mirage fluorocarbon tippet? Is it worth the purchase or are there other fluorocarbon tippets, in guide spools that are better? Any feedback would be most appreciated>

Dale

IMO Rio and froghair are the best (suppleness and abrasion and stretch resistance). However, i see mirage is on sale. Even though I prefer the other two, given the price I'd buy the mirage. One downside to mirage is that the spool is larger than FH or Rio. Makes it a tight squeeze in my usual tippet pocket.

Two years ago I had a gift card from cabelas I had to use so I got their version. It was ok considering the price (19.95 at the time for 100m), but is is stiffer than the others. I would stay away from that if price is not a major issue. Spool on the cabelas is large also.

The one area I'm not willing to cut cost is on tippet. It is the direct connection to the fish.
However, I'm sure the orvis stuff is decent.
I'm a rio guy myself.

I used the 80 pound mirage tippet. Its really decent.

PacoFrancisco wrote

For what Paco, Blue Marlin?

albatross wrote:
PacoFrancisco wrote

For what Paco, Blue Marlin?

If the fish aren't spooked by the humongous flies Paco ties and rips through the water, why would they be spooked by the skinny little tippet it's tied on...lol.

Back