Guide school suggestions

F

fishordie

Was wondering if any one had any info on guide schools or certification classes in PA?

Look at sweat water guide school but you will need to buy a guide license. Personally look out west the have better rating schools plus better job placement.

Kinda trying to stay in or as close to PA if that's possible

I did look at the website for them. Says the accept the GI bill which I have . definitely going to look further into that thank you

Are you looking at doing guide work part-time or as a full-time career? Pa would equal part-time for most guys. There are a few that do it full-time but the opportunities are pretty limited. If you look at Colorado, Montana, Idaho and a few other places, more opportunities which = more work = better living. If you guide in this region and want to make a full-time go of it..........also owning a boat will help. That gives you the opportunity to guide small water for natives, average PA streams and bigger water like the Lehigh and Yough. Guiding on the Salmon River would require a NY license. Guiding Delaware would require a license NY as well as a national park permit. You'd also want to be well versed in bass, musky and steelhead fishing to help supplement the slower times of the year. Just offering my 2 cents.

Well I'm a disabled vet. Money isn't really an issue I'm just trying to Pursue my dream career.I love PA I spent all my life here besides the Marine corps and I'd prefer to stay here and guide.

I had a buddy who guided full time. In pa that really is tough. But he also had a rod building servce as well so that helped him through the winter time. In pa you cant really survive off of just guiding. It is a cool occupation though. Most guides up on the delaware will guide on the delaware from april-nov and then do steelhead when the time comes.

Fishordie also try getting into a fly shop too. Pm me for info in you want

Fly shops are always on the table.

http://fishandboat.com/chboat_fact.htm

Here are the facts for obtaining a license and insurance. Kind of weird that you would need insurance if you aren't using a boat. Anyway, good luck in your pursuit of this dream.

Fisher die,

May have some info for you or at least some things to chat about. PM your email if interested. Thanks

@gfoledc thank you! It was an honor to serve

Paraleptalata
PM sent ! @ pocketwater . Thank you!

fishordie,

#1 - thank you for your service.

Someone mentioned insurance....Yes. Gotta have it. Fly shops are also a good starting point. Some have guides on staff, some don't have guide service and will refer clients to a local guide and/or the opportunity to teach classes / seminars. You may also want to look into getting a FFF casting certification.

Dream job? Only if you have the patience of a saint. Do you have a realistic view of what you are getting into? Lots of trips booked only to be canceled. 99% chance that you won't be guiding April Vokey or some guy that lays out 80' of line right on the money. it's typically people new to FF-ing or the one's that aren't very good at it. You'll get plenty of time to explain techniques, tactics, insect life and instruct. Some clients you take out couldn't hit the water with their fly from 10' away ......using a 9' rod. LOL. If you know all of this going in and still call it a dream job, it just might be for you. How are your people skills? Outgoing personality, good story teller, good teacher? All are helpful.

I've kicked that idea around for years but would only do it as a weekend gig. At this time, I'd still prefer to get a little more fishing in for myself before I start doing it. Good luck to you and talk to as many guides as you can.

Krayfish2

Thank you ! It was an honor to serve

I appreciate the heads up. I have researched it a lot and do realise the ignorance that may come with it. I look at it more as an opportunity to influence beginners in a positive way. Ofcourse people will be nieve to the sport. If I'm the one that gets them hooked then I'm getting the better end of the deal! Fly fishing is my drug of choice and I'd eventually like to help veterans through it like project healing waters and other organizations.

Project healing waters and wounded warriors are awesome things to participate in. I also served but it was during peacetime. I wanted to get a bunch of guides and/or private boats together to take wounded warriors down the Delaware or Susquehanna. Unfortunately, I didn't get the anticipated response. Maybe this year I can solicit more interest.

Just FYI. I searched and found a fishing guide school in PA. You may want to check it out. Again, just FYI - not a recommendation since I have no knowledge about this company.

PA Guide School

Guide schools are a good option for some folks. Look at the curriculum of guide schools and understand what they primarily teach.

The 1st order of guide school is to teach you how to manage wilderness emergencies. There are alternative routs to that that are quicker, especially if you have any medical experience.

From there, you have to have an idea of what you want to guide. Guide schools out west are not going to teach you everything you need to know about fishing in PA. They may or may not teach you what you need to be a good fly caster, let alone how to instruct someone else to cast properly.

I'm in no way shape or form down on guide schools. A young person that is just out of school that wants to get into the outdoor industry and do any type of guiding would be well served starting with a guide school.

I bypassed guide school because my medical background surpassed it in most ways. I wasn't going to be guiding trips on horseback or things like that. What I needed was to know my water and know my fish. I needed to adjust my medical thinking for remote situations. And I needed to learn casting and casting instruction. So, I spent my money and earned my experience in alternative ways.

There is so much involved in becoming a guide and then guiding that is above and beyond guide school. So, should you choose that path, it's a good path, but you will still have tons of work to do to be ready to serve your clients. Remember guiding is a service industry....not getting paid to fish. There is much to learn to be able to serve clients well. It does not happen over night. BUT, it is rewarding if you put the time into it and stick to your dream.

Back