Grounded Fish Pics

D

DavidFin

Do you correct people if they post pictures of [to be released] fish on the ground?

Honestly speaking, the first time I was alerted to the potential damage a fish can sustain from being laid on the ground was when I proudly showed a pic of a great brown I placed on dry grass to a shop I was friendly with. One older guy lashed out at me for it. I learned, but it was embarrassing.

That said, I'm starting to say something on facebook now when I see posts, but as nicely as possible. Start off with a compliment, state my case, and then end it with the fact that I learned by making the same mistake.

Or we could just say nothing? I guess it may be a popular symptom of getting older, but I've become increasingly more concerned with the health of the fish than any personal glory (add barbless hooks and less fish pics to my repertoire). I just don't want to bum anyone out pushing my own agenda.

Read thread down one or two. Apparently I'm a real....... but oh well.

DavidFin wrote:
Do you correct people if they post pictures of [to be released] fish on the ground?

I don't.

The reason being that if I do that... then I open myself up to getting return fire for the fish pics I have posted - whether "on the ground," held in my my hand, in a net, out of the water....or whatever else someone doesn't approve of.

Here on the forum we have encouraged a cease fire on the matter of fish handling pics as such complaints always lead to blowback and bruised egos.

There's nothing wrong with showing a newbie how to best handle fish that are to be released.

However, correcting other anglers on their fish handling pics posted on the internet comes across as pretentious and just flames threads.

I wouldn't mention it on any social media because I guarantee that you will be accused of being a troll, a hater, and many other terms of endearment. Save the comments for when you are face to face with the offender. I wouldn't mention it if the guy is bigger than you either.

wbranch wrote:
I wouldn't mention it on any social media because I guarantee that you will be accused of being a troll, a hater, and many other terms of endearment. Save the comments for when you are face to face with the offender. I wouldn't mention it if the guy is bigger than you either.

wiser words could not be spoken...LOL.

When you said "grounded" i was thinking you meant "spiking" the fish the way they do a football after a touchdown. That would be bad.

As I learned, tone of voice cannot be heard on social media or email, however good your intentions.

" Start off with a compliment, state my case, and then end it with the fact that I learned by making the same mistake. "

I like this but tread lightly since newbies need more guidance. The lashing out approach you experienced does us no good. Most younger and new to the sport fly fishers are all about the pictures. In today's social media / cell phone world it makes sense. Anyone starting a hobby is going to take a lot of pics. We have a hobby that prides itself on catch and release and we have new enthusiasts that want some kind of tangible proof of their accomplishment. Pictures are the new stringer full of fish to take home from the stream. The best thing we can do is lead by example. I love the #keepemwet hashtag thing. It's a perfect way to lead by example. I too have some pics of fish in grass or laid out on rocks beside my fly rod handle. I can tell you that I did this because it was the example I was exposed to in fishing books from a few decades back. The best we can do is move forward in a positive manner. The lashing out approach, in my opinion, could lead to more elitist perception of our sport.

waiting for the first person to say eff it i say what i want to who i want lol. I hate to see dry grounded fish pics and try to never do it myself. im sure i have done it a time or two back in the day but it does bother me know especially wild fish.

Just close this thread out already...been there done that!

How many of these threads do we need?

bigslackwater wrote:
" Start off with a compliment, state my case, and then end it with the fact that I learned by making the same mistake. "

I like this but tread lightly since newbies need more guidance. The lashing out approach you experienced does us no good. Most younger and new to the sport fly fishers are all about the pictures. In today's social media / cell phone world it makes sense. Anyone starting a hobby is going to take a lot of pics. We have a hobby that prides itself on catch and release and we have new enthusiasts that want some kind of tangible proof of their accomplishment. Pictures are the new stringer full of fish to take home from the stream. The best thing we can do is lead by example. I love the #keepemwet hashtag thing. It's a perfect way to lead by example. I too have some pics of fish in grass or laid out on rocks beside my fly rod handle. I can tell you that I did this because it was the example I was exposed to in fishing books from a few decades back. The best we can do is move forward in a positive manner. The lashing out approach, in my opinion, could lead to more elitist perception of our sport.

^^ 100% agree. Last year when I took up FFing I took a lot of pictures especially as I started catching fish. Now I rarely take a fish picture. Before FFing I didn't carry a net and would just haul the fish on to dry land to get the hook out. Education goes a long way. Providing feedback in person is way better than online. I remember what I thought of the person that gave me feedback on here about fish handling and it wasnt positive. Even if it is the feedback is intended to be positive and constructive providing that feedback through forums and social media is a recipe for disaster. The tone does not translate well through online type mediums and will usually come across as a personal attack rather than instructional. Those perceived personal attacks are a great way to turn someone off of FFing or have them stop sharing there success and stories.

hehe

Just to throw this out there what's makes you think that holding a fish in the pic is better. They pick it up squeeze the crap out of it put their fingers in the gills, etc. I don't say nothing anymore it's just a bunch of people criticizing other people. Internet bullying, it is to me. just like all the post on fish on the rocks.It's their opinions and sometimes you just gotta let it fly. Do you know how many fish I put on the rocks, it happens sometimes. It's their opinions and sometimes you just gotta let it fly. Hey it's just my two cents thrown into a jar.

About the only time I *might* (and it is a very narrow window of potentiality...) say something to somebody about a fish photo like those being discussed on this thread would be if: 1) I was working with an absolute newcomer and he was asking me for guidance or advice about this sort of thing and (more importantly..) 2) I was actually there to see how the fish was handled so that I could feel I had an informed opinion on the instant situation.

Otherwise, I'd worry that I was becoming yet another of those people with more opinions than I had information. I simply will not contribute to the widening of this already out of control pandemic, if I can help it....:)

So, I tend to MYOB.

Back