GRIFFITHS GNAT

Acristickid

Acristickid

I am going to toss this question out there for the more experienced tyers. I am still a journeyman.

Is Griffiths Gnat supposed to represent a "ball" of midges going at it or just one midge?

I saw a reference in a book I was reading that eluded to a pattern that was to represent a group of midges. Can this be tied two different ways?

Paul

A group of midges, yep

A griffith's gnat is meant to imitate a group of mating adult midges.

It can be tied in any color, though the standard is herl and grizzly. I've seen them in cream/cream as well as a few other combinations too.

Hell, while you're at it, tie some tiny bivisibles and see how they work.

I don't remember ever catching a fish on a griffiths gnat, in spite of it's reputation as a go to fly. This puzzles me. Even if the fish don't want it as a midge cluster, it's quite buggy looking, and you think they would take it anyway.
I've tied - and used them - in sizes #16 down to #24, with no success.
Maybe I just haven't been in the right place at the right time.

I've had most of my success with them in the middle of winter, and as an attractor pattern.

I've talked to a gentleman on the Tully one day that swears by them in a white or cream color as large as size 16. Says its his go-to fly.

Just like me with muddler minnows... nothing works until you have faith that it will. Once you catch a few on them, you'll start fishing them harder and more effectively because you'll expect them to work. That's how I always saw it anyway.

Who knows what the fish thinks it is? The GG is a great fly to try first when fish are rising to the small stuff, before trying to net the little buggers to match a midge hatch. In addition, sometimes a GG works when your hatch matching attempts fail with larger flies. They also work well during low flows in the summer, probably mistaken by the fish for a small terrestrial bug. Great fly and easy to tie - never leave home without it.

I am with Jay on this one. I have had great success with this fly on the yough in the middle of the winter. If you get a mild winter day and your fishing, tie on a gnat. On of my best days ever was spent fishing a gnat at the dam.

I tie them 12 - 18

>>Who knows what the fish thinks it is?>>

'Zactly...

I've caught trout on them, but I have no idea if the fish think they are a ball of gnats, a single gnat or a tiny caterpillar or a crescent wrench...

Many years ago, I had a friend who refused to fish Griffith Gnats. He said that compared to a small grizzly bivisible, they were useless..

This is a funny sport...:)

Back