GRHE

eunanhendron

eunanhendron

Been a while since i tied a wet fly, so last night i did the GRHE.

The wing kicked up a bit since i didnt taper the body/build thread at the wing tie in area to make an even platform to mount it - that what happens when you're out of touch for a while i guess.

IMG_0284.JPG

Looks great to me. A very effective fly btw. Unfortunately the wing gets destroyed pretty easily after a few fish.

Unless you're mounting it that wont matter, after one fish the pretty is gone and you're just left with one heck of a fish catcher. Nice tie. Man those old school wets work, I use them a lot figuring not to many other anglers are, what with so many new and improved patterns that are out every year.

lv2nymph wrote:
Unless you're mounting it that wont matter, after one fish the pretty is gone and you're just left with one heck of a fish catcher. Nice tie. Man those old school wets work, I use them a lot figuring not to many other anglers are, what with so many new and improved patterns that are out every year.

Agree with everything you say! It's just unfortunate that the wing is so delicate because it's a challenge for me to get them set properly.

I got into tying some lead wing coachmen in hopes I'd hit a grannom hatch but just haven't been able to time my fishing and location around them.

Thread here veevus 14/0

The wing fibers are hardy as all hell, they wont break in two, but they also wont stay married either once they get wet, this i know, but i'm always on the quest for perfection in the wings.

Usually the fish don't care about wrecked wings. I don't either as long as it's catching fish.

Nice tie. I like the wing.

Pretty fly! I love your self criticisim. Most of us would probably be happy if we wound up with two wings.

Very nice lookin flies. try a thin coat of some type of head cement or thin epoxy on the wings , don't overdo it , just a thin amount will help a little to delay the "clump" but , really the clump doesn't seem to bother the fish. Those wings look great to me , when you catch a fish or three , you realize the pretty , perfectly tied and placed wings are more to catch the fisherman than the fish. THOSE wings caught me................NICE.

Back