greys x-flite

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I was just surfing around and came across the Greys x-flite. I read up and it is discontinued for a new rod and there's some sweet deals out there for them. I'm looking for a dry fly rod and was checking out the 8'6" 4wt. Now even at this small wt rod it has a fighting butt and full wells grip. Not that it makes that much of a difference but basically looking for a rod to toss a nice accurate dry fly at under 50' with a medium action... will this fit the bill for me?

Bueller, Bueller??

Apparently so. I guess no one has experience with this rod.

Well in spite of no input I bought a 8'6" 4wt greys x-flite today for $111. Not too bad. I guess I'll be the first one to review this rod. From things I read online and in other forums it looks to be the medium action rod I've been looking for to toss some dries on. I'll report asap on my likings.

Good shopping, Ryan. Looks like a heckuva deal.

I am officially done buying gear for 2011 after this though.... well minus the LLBean waders, and possible vest... and... and... and...

Just got my rod in today. It is light as a feather and has a nice feel to it for the 2 minutes I assembled it to test out the action. I've got my reel coming in any day now to test out. I'll give a full report after that.

unlike the pictures online, it does have a half wells grip and no fighting butt. I read a few places online and the picture shown pointed to a full wells, and fighting butt on a 4wt, but those were both false. It's got nice aesthetics and is half as heavy as my 9'5wt that I use on a regular basis. I'll put it through the ringer though. (and test my casting skills)

Boo to half-wells.

Well I never gave a report on this rod so I figured I'd finally update it. This rod is nothing short of amazing for the price I paid. Light as a feather, casts great, nice action, good looking rod all around, and feels great in the hand. I have yet to catch a fish on it though..... lol. They are discontinued so if someone is looking for a light weight dry fly rod I would highly consider for a great price if you can find one.

I also got a really good deal on the 8'6" 4wt and love the rod. Fit, finish and performance is very good.

Back