Greys GX 500

wgmiller

wgmiller

Looks like a damn nice setup for a meager $85. What's the catch?!?!?

http://fly.greysfishing.com/en-us/products/reels/greys-reels/gx500-reel/

Didn't see one. You can't be 20 minutes from their showroom. Go "hands on" and see what you think....then report.

Tempting. I'm not in the reel market right now, but that sure is an attractive deal for a reel by itself, let alone two spare spools.

I may have to take a short road trip...

I like the idea of being able to mark what line is on it. I won't go down there without thinning the herd first. I know I'll get a zenith if I go down.

krayfish wrote:
I won't go down there without thinning the herd first.

I'll buy the whole herd. Meet me at Home Depot. Seriously though, I am looking for a reel. I am actually interested in this one kind of now.

^ LMAO

wgmiller wrote:
Looks like a damn nice setup for a meager $85. What's the catch?!?!?

http://fly.greysfishing.com/en-us/products/reels/greys-reels/gx500-reel/

no catch.

Greys make good quality kit at cheap prices - owned by Hardy, these are produce in SE Asia in Hardy's factory.

as the blurb says, they are aimed at European stillwater boat anglers - typically targeting 2-3lb fish from boats with a large variety of sinking lines on the drift casting to structure or feeding lanes, wind lanes.

they have been massively popular in the UK for stillwater and saltwater fly fishers (UK saltwater fish are typically in the 1-3lb range...)

the price point is based on similar reel and cartridge deals from other UK manufacturers like Snowbee, OKuma, Danica, Scierra etc etc - most of which are not sold here or are difficult to get, like a lot of UK products. Snowbee products are great.

I still haven't found any fluoro tippet here stronger and softer than Fulling Mill's for example.

I have no connection with Grey's, i just love the Company - their GRX and GRXi fly reels are teriffic value and i have three of their rods in 5, 7 & 9 wt.

The 9wt Platinum XD i switched to from a Sage Xi3. It's a better rod...

so bottom line if you want the reels for stillwater, bass, creek trout then go for it - I have similar Danica Tecno's (made in Denmark), but i wouldn't let the 7wt reel loose on Steelhead, Salmon or Stripers/Bluefish.

Cheers

Mark.

That line ID system is pretty cool.

I have a greys grx for 5/6, works great. Can't complain. same as the old rocky mtn. from orvis my 7/8 lg. arbor has held up to steelhead, shad, and light saltwater. You can't go wrong with it.

Back