Green weenie/ trout magnet

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Just wondering if anyone has tried snipping the loop and making legs on the back of the fly similar to a trout magnet. I uses magnets if nothing else is working ocasionally and found they can be deadly. I guess that if you place a beadhead on the weenie and snip the loop you would have a trout magnet fly.

I tie what people call a green weenie without the loop. I call it an inchworm and it is simple chenille wrapped around a scud hook. I certainly can't complain about my success with it.

Trout Magnets are "go to" tackle for my kids when they fish (they're only 4 & 8). If you can replicate that action in a fly, I'd think you'd be pretty successful as my kids have hooked up with some very nice fish on Trout Magnets.

Kid I went to college with was neighbors with the guy who invented them, so he had an endless supply. Needless to say he out-fished me with those things 9 out of 10 times.

What is the secret to fishing trout magnets. I don't do spin fishing to often but bought nearly every color of these things in hopes of getting my son (9) into fish. Any suggestions.

Tie these up and use the fly rod;

Attachments

• 4-5-12 004.jpg
    4-5-12 004.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 4-5-12 005.jpg
    4-5-12 005.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 21
Keep the trout magnet about 2 or 3 inches from the bottom. The floats are important in my believe to do this. A few twitches as it moves and you should be in for a fish.

I dont use them often but being oportunistic i am not shamed to throw one one after my other paterns aren't working

ok...I will ask...what are trout magnets?

Boss

boss_steb wrote:
ok...I will ask...what are trout magnets?

Boss

I'm with you, Boss. I Googled a pic. Some sort of jig. I've always thought a trout magnet was some sort of spinner. I'm not sure what the body is made of...some kind of rubber-like material?

Attachments

• Trout magnet.jpg
    Trout magnet.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 3
Yes, some sort of rubber material. I'm a fly guy through and through, but I've seen these things work wonders when my kids are fishing. As noted, it's best to just let them drift or ride a few inches off the bottom and give a little twitch, but not too often.

I bought a kit for my kid's stocking last year and it sure beats dealing with any type of bait. Here's the kit: https://www.troutmagnet.com/store/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=4

I can't wait for the day when I can switch my kids over to fly fishing! :-D

i've seen people call things that are less of a fly than that a fly.look at gummie minnows for the salt.

i'm not saying i would use them,but if you're going to use bead heads and strike indicators there's not much difference than a bobber and this trout magnet.

sometimes you can be a purist,OR ,you can catch fish.

however,i have seen people use power bait with fly rods.............

as far as the original question,i think if you made a weenie with a rubber tail,like chartreuse sili legs,or even regular whitish rubber legs on a bead head or jig hook you would basically have a fly rod version of a trout magnet.

and also in answer to the original question,i think it would be interesting to snip the looped tail on a weenie or red hot and burn the ends like a san juan worm.

i guess you'd have a san juan worm/green weenie/trout magnet!

The pink weenie/ trout magnet fly worked well on the chest creek DHALO section. Smacked 5 on it before the fly kicked the bucket. I switched back to regualr nymphs and landed a few. I am not a purist but just like trying new flies and making some for beginners. I like to catch fish yes and would rather catch them on one of my natural flies but if these flies arent working i am not affraid to stoop down. LOL

Sandfly
Love those sickle hooks on those jigs. They are scary sharp. The're all I use for Shad and crappie.

Back