Green drake

T

thesmayway

I'm struggling to find a drake dun or spinner recipe that is popular for Penns. I've never fished the green drake hatch and this will only be my 2nd trip to Penns. Anyone have patterns they like? Tying videos would be awesome. Thanks!

Youtube is an excellent source for many flies. I learned the old fasion way....school of hard knocks from uncle bull and a quik slap that i never saw coming. Penns creek angler has a nice supply of books and vidies. and werever you end up ask people at camps like myself....i am very happy to show beginners how. My way is prolly not the best but i catch alot of fish....hope this helps

this has info on penns creek

http://www.flyfisherman.com/how-to/match-the-hatch/matching-the-drake-hatch/

http://flyanglersonline.com/features/greatrivers/penns/pennsflies.php

GOOGLE "Ephemera Guttulata" and find one to tie

electric chicken

Thoughts? I followed a pattern I found for Eastern Green Drake. My main question was which green drake is the right green drake as there are a ton of patterns out there... thanks all for your help

https://youtu.be/8Z6vk9VDTFc

20160526_212944_zpsswhg0ykh.jpg

20160526_213049_zps7jofj0vy.jpg

Thesmayway,

The George Harvey drake (I think) is tied with yellow calf tail wings for visibility. Remember, the drakes often hatch at dusk. It's something to consider when tying.

GD are on now

I like the look of them. Construction?

Second one is size 8, "female green drake" dubbing, moose mane tail, Flo green hair wing and grizzly hackle. First one is the same except I used a more sparse brown hackle.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Dave

20170527_102240_zpsxjtakxgt.jpg

20170527_120408_zpsajzpmjei.jpg

I've still never fished this hatch and I'm only basing these on some images I found online. Hopefully finally making it up tonight. Give me your thoughts

Buy some Green Drakes and Coffin Flies from reliable fly shops in areas that have a lot of drakes. And ask them for the hooks and materials to tie those.

If you're interested in an imitating fly, as shown in many of the pictures, the yellow wings are significant. They stand out on the natural. An 8, 2XL is a decent hook. I use a foam strip going back along the hook, superglued on. Dub over with a creamy white synthetic dubbing like antron and pull the foam strip over the top of the body. This helps with floating such a big fly. I use a double-style wing. I start with a comparadun style wing in costal deer hair. When I get back up to the front after tying the body, I tie in a big grizzly hackle and wrap around the comparadun wing. Then I tie in a yellow deer hair wing facing back and wrap it back to the other wing to get it to flair and stand up. Don't use too much. Dub the creamy white at the head and finish by wrapping the rest of the grizzly hackle at the head. It's about the best version for functionality and realistic profile that I've seen. I actually do a sz. 10 hook and do a short, 1 segment longer extended wrapped/dubbed body around the moose mane tail. It increases the length by at least 1 hook size or more without the greater weight of more steel. But that's something I wouldn't inflict upon somebody.

Syl

Back