My Green Drake rendition.

Attachments

• Matt's Green Drake.JPG
    Matt's Green Drake.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 260
Sweet!!

got a recipe?

I like it!!

Awesome, I personally like the color, how it's not screamin bright army green or almost flourecent like alot of ties. Good Job!

I just saw the request for the recipe a few minutes ago. Eleven years after the post!

Thread - white 3/0 monocord
Hook 3 XL #8 - #12
Tail - small clump moose mane fibers
Abdomen - light yellow rabbit
Dorsal marking - Black indelible marker
Rib - white or yellow round thread
Thorax - same as abdomen but more robust
Hackle - stiff grizzly clipped on the bottom
Wing - olive deer hair tied in Compara-dun style

Attachments

• Green Drake Compara-dun (with grizzly hackle).JPG
    Green Drake Compara-dun (with grizzly hackle).JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Matt's Green Drake.JPG
    Matt's Green Drake.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 68
Nice!! I can see 'em chomping at it now!!

I'll take a dozen of those Matt.

I'll take a dozen of those Matt.
Actually they are for sale on Discountflies.com

Just look up "Matt's Green Drake". I didn't like his GD so I sent him a couple of mine with the recipe. He liked them so much (I tie in as a parachute & a Compara-dun) that he added it to his catalog and sent me a dozen of each.

Last edited:
Actually they are for sale on Discountflies.com

Just look up "Matt's Green Drake". I didn't like his GD so I sent him a couple of mine with the recipe. He liked them so much (I tie in as a parachute & a Compara-dun) that he added it to his catalog and sent me a dozen of each.

Where do you source your died deer hair? Or are you dying it yourself (I have plenty of deer hair to experiment on). I tried tying some easter green drake patterns in recent years using hackle and sharpie markers to get them green, but I'd like to try making your deer hair versions.

Where do you source your died deer hair? Or are you dying it yourself (I have plenty of deer hair to experiment on). I tried tying some easter green drake patterns in recent years using hackle and sharpie markers to get them green, but I'd like to try making your deer hair versions.
I don't tie professionally. I was fortune to have found one bucktail probably thirty-five years ago the perfect color. I use 4X on those #8 & #10 during the day and go to 3X at dusk. Using heavy tippets I rarely lose a fly so I have enough hair for the rest of my like.

Back