Green drake wet/soft hackle?

B

Broad_Top

Noticed that I couldn't really find any patterns on here or google unless I missed something.

Anyone have a good'un they're willing to share?

http://steelheadalleyflytying.blogspot.com/search/label/Miller%27s%20Iso%20Emerger

tie this one in olive

Looks deadly!

Jim Bashline wrote in article, probably in the 1970s or so, that the old timers used big Cahill wet flies.

I tried this and caught some trout. Not a lot, but some.

If you type "green drake soft hackle" into the search box on Google and than go to the images found you will find a multitude of photos of green drake soft hackle flies. The sky is the limit. Plenty of opportunity to tweak one a little bit to suit yourself or your tying style and it might just be the ticket for you.

Thanks all.

DC, my concern was that those were mostly for the western GD and hence maybe not a good imitation. But I don't know much about their differences or lack thereof, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Eunan, looks like a good one, thanks.

Just not sure what to best fish subsurface for them.

Find a picture of a green drake that's hatched on the east coast and tie one based on that.

Beadhead's link - there's a cool lookin one

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern4292.html

Not a real soft hackle but I would think the venerable Picket Pin would be deadly, especially weighted.

Van_Cleaver wrote:
Not a real soft hackle but I would think the venerable Picket Pin would be deadly, especially weighted.

I like this ^^. A picket pinn with bleached peacock herl, grizzly hackle and a barred deer hail downwing, with a lonnng ginger saddle tail for a trailing shuck.

Yes....I may try that.

I like where the ideas are going here...

FlyFishers Paradise sells a green drake wet. You could use this for a model.

Boom

http://www.flyfishersparadiseonline.com/product_p/wf08.htm

That Bashline thing with the big Light Cahill wets may have (probably did) come from Art Flick's little hatch book, the name of which escapes me at present. Flick recommended fishing a large Light Cahill wet tied on a 1XL or 2XL hook (IIRC). I think he recommended the fly be strip retrieved. I once tried this during a flush Drake Hatch on Young Womans and it worked like a charm. Boom Boom Boom. One fish after another. Then, just as a control, I switched to a loud streamer like a Mickey Finn or a bright yellow marabou. Boom Boom Boom. One fish after another.

Then I went back to fishing on top to risers with a #14 elk hair caddis.

I decided my findings on the efficacy of a large Light Cahill wet during the Green Drake hatch were inconclusive...

Dear Broad-Top,

Try a brace of Carey Specials strip retrieved like RLP suggests.

Green Drake nymphs are strong swimmers.

A short note on the Young Woman's Creek that RLP remembers. It was one of, if not "the" finest wild trout stream in PA not located in a limestone belt circa 1987 or so.

It's now a shadow of it's former self.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

RLeeP wrote:
That Bashline thing with the big Light Cahill wets may have (probably did) come from Art Flick's little hatch book, the name of which escapes me at present. Flick recommended fishing a large Light Cahill wet tied on a 1XL or 2XL hook (IIRC). I think he recommended the fly be strip retrieved. I once tried this during a flush Drake Hatch on Young Womans and it worked like a charm. Boom Boom Boom. One fish after another. Then, just as a control, I switched to a loud streamer like a Mickey Finn or a bright yellow marabou. Boom Boom Boom. One fish after another.

Then I went back to fishing on top to risers with a #14 elk hair caddis.

I decided my findings on the efficacy of a large Light Cahill wet during the Green Drake hatch were inconclusive...

I just read Art Flick's Stream side guide this winter, and remember the green drake nymph description to be one of the more enjoyable parts of the book. He tried to catch a nymph for his illustrator, but could not mange to get one. He finally came to the conclusion that the nymphs were cracking their cases on the bottom and then swimming rapidly to the surface to emerge very quickly. Eventually he managed to catch one and apply pressure to stop the emergence and provide a specimen for his illustrator. He states that this behavior combined with the nymphs very fast swimming speed explain why imitations are not very useful, and for that reason he did not provide a pattern for the green drake nymph.
I'm not trying to argue with success, just pointing out a bit of interesting history and possible insight on the nymphs behavior.
Mike.

I have not tried this pattern yet, but I tied up a few Green Drake soft hackles recently.

hook: TMC 200R size 12
Thread: Pearsalls Gossamer Silk- Chestnut
tail: pheasant tail fibers
abdomen: Orvis Spectrablend -Light Cahill dubbing
rib: Uni-Stretch - Brown
thorax: Olive Hares Ear dubbing
Hackle: Olive hen hackle

Making a trip to Penns Cr on Sunday and hope I don't miss the hatch.

Let us know how your pattern fishes!

my word that is an enormous brown trout !

Back