Green Drake Nymph Tactics

albatross

albatross

I've read that the Green Drake nymphs are active for a week or more before the hatch, so we are likely to have active nymphs at the jam even if we don't have the dries. How do you all fish this nymph? I understand this is a burrowing nymph that needs silt or sand. Do you fish the nymphs in slower pools or are they effective in riffles? Fish it near the bottom? Dead drift?

Greg,

During the emergence, I have had success fishing a GD wiggle nymph as a dropper, about two feet below the dry.

I fish them everywhere except real heavy water. Even though they borrow, the will do so between rocks in current.
I fish them with movement, so anywhere in the water column... but if I can get them on nymphs, I can usually draw the fish up with a dry. The beginning of the hatch seems to be the most productive dry time for me, even if the fish have only seen a handful of naturals floating by.

Thanks guys!

My understanding is that swinging GD nymphs is also effective, much like isonychia.

the downstream side of big rocks are a good place to nymph (silt build up , soft bottom ) anywhere in the column is a good place to fish them , they moult up to 30 times before emergence so its common to fish the nymphs 2 weeks before emergence , the first part (day 1 or 2 ) of the hatch is the best because trout take them less cautiously and they are gorging themselves , then there are so many on the water , why eat like a pig , just nibble every once in a while type theory (in my opinion )

Never had much success with them.

Maybe because I was'nt a very good fisherman then and or did'nt have confidence in the nymph. Maybe I try again.

Back