Green drake hatch

FlyMaster99

FlyMaster99

As many of you most likely already know, one of the world class hatches are starting here in pa, on Penns Creek, the Green Drake Hatch. I came upon this hatch from one of my teachers, and wanted to know when other people fish this hatch, or are planning to do so this year I was thinking not this weekend but the following, hitting up penns creek for this amazing hatch.

My other reason for this is to ask where you get your flies?
Please help me and others out by posting your opinion, it will be greatly appreciated. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

1. Penns Creek is not the only stream with GD's by a long shot! Lots of other streams have em.

2. I agree the bug experience on Penns is pretty amazing. However, it is not one of the better "fishing" hatches on Penns, especially at peak spinner fall. Huge drakes mixed with sulphers, sometimes MB's, and a million of other stuff. Gorged fish that, while feeding, eat about 0.001% of the naturals. What chance does your fake have? Plus, people. Penns is a zoo at drake time. You can walk way in and still only have 50-100 yards to yourself.

3. As for when, hatches have been running a little late. I don't have a crystal ball to pinpoint exact timing. Soon. Meaning full blown hatch/spinners within 2 weeks. This weekend could put you on something. If you're willing to go anywhere on Penns, next weekend is almost certain that you can track em down. As always, the hatch (and spinners) start lower and work their way upstream.

4. Most impressive time to watch bugs is of course, just after dark when spinners are out. The best fishing time is probably just before and after dawn. Spinners from the previous night have collected in eddies and such.

5. Note, Penns is HIGH.

still in nymph form here. from kettle today

Attachments

• 026 (400x300).jpg
    026 (400x300).jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 027 (400x300).jpg
    027 (400x300).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 6
On my way home from Penns now...drakes have started in conurbation and down around glen iron towards Wiekert. Nothing in between yet. Great sulphur spinner falls and duns too. Nymphing is good early and late on large stoneflies and also 16 sulphur nymphs/PT. water is very fish able on Penns and improving by the hour. Tan caddis dries caught several fish in conurbation area Saturday afternoon. I'd suggest the feathered hook fly shop in confirm for flies.

I fish it on Penns every 10-12 years. Hit it last year and that might be enough to hold me for 20 more years. It is a sight to see, it's a zoo and the fishing isn't as great as one might expect. If I have the opportunity, I fish the emergence and skip the spinnerfall.

Any updates on what the drake hatch is looking like on Kettle Creek?

its happining now

I was above Hammersly Fork on Friday and the hatch seemed to be just starting. Figured it would be in full swing by now. If anybody is fishing Kettle Creek bring extra mosquito repellant. I got torn up.

Back