green drake dun patterns

Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

OK guys - with the Jam fast approaching, I figured it was time to tie up some more green drakes to top off my drake box.

In addition to the Harvey style pattern, which is my staple pattern, I decided to tie up some extended body duns.

Here's what I came up with - let's see yours.....

Attachments

• e.b.g.d..jpg
    e.b.g.d..jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 22
I've been tying mine similarly to yours Ed. Extended body with tan foam, but a hair wing instead of parachute. I have a few catskill ties too.

Coffin fly is white foam, dark dubbing, and spent wings. KISS.

2.5 weeks left. I need to hit the bench.... my wife's honeydo list is way to long right now though.

Doggone things are so big, they don't fit in my box!

I have a feeling we're gonna hit the drakes dead on. Typically, I don't bother with tying duns because the fish are usually eating sulphurs, but they hit 'em hard up on Kettle. My best days have come with fishing Old Lefty's wiggle nymph. He's a captive audience for the Jam, so maybe he'll spin some up with us.

I've got some coffin flies that I tied up a few years ago, and I put a flourescent post on them. Trying to pick your fly out from the gazillion naturals is always fun.

Tough to find time to tie in the evening - some of us are still watching hockey. :cool:

I tied a few more of the monsters last night. Also tried my hand at making up my own GD nymph pattern. I'll try to take a picture if I get the time.

sz 12-14 streamer hook.

small black bead chain eyes.

Lots of lead

3 tails of brown ostrich.

Abdomen is cream nymph dubbing with a palmering of the brown ostrich to represent the gills. Wrapped in wire to help keep it all together.

Thorax is cream dubbing with turkey flat for back.

White floss run from tail to head (under wire, over turkey)

3 turns of dark partridge.

Took me a while to put it all together, but it looks pretty good!

The first one is always ok, so the next one will hopefully look a bit better.

I like a traditional Catskill pattern for the few times they seem to be hitting green drake duns (in my experience at GD time they are hitting sulphurs/Cahills more too). The hatching green drake is an ungainly thing that reminds me of a wobbly colt getting up on its legs. I think a full hackle Catskill tie gives that impression more. You wouldn't need many since I haven't seen them be on the duns very often.

Coffin flies are another matter. I carry a box of misc ties, but most of the time they are hitting best at midnight when a size 6 white Wulff seems to do as well as anything. A very few large rivers (i.e. E Branch Delaware) I fish have spinners still floating on the water in the morning miles from where they fell. In that case a more realisitic pattern works.

for here,

Attachments

• 5-30-07 039.jpg
    5-30-07 039.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 4
  • green drake 001.jpg
    green drake 001.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 1-27-2011 012.jpg
    1-27-2011 012.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 4
nymph and emerger;

Attachments

• 5-21-2011 002.jpg
    5-21-2011 002.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 5-23-2011 asaph 018.jpg
    5-23-2011 asaph 018.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 5
for those of you watching hockey trade rumors of philly looking to get crosby but nothing concrete from pens front office looks like ill have to get a number 87 crosby flyers jersey made up....

edit

Ed is that a dohiku hook?

sandy whats the recipe for that emerger pattern?

flipnfly wrote:
for those of you watching hockey trade rumors of philly looking to get crosby but nothing concrete from pens front office looks like ill have to get a number 87 crosby flyers jersey made up....

edit

Ed is that a dohiku hook?

Hi Nello - That's a Gamakatsu retainer bend hook (sz 10). Nasty sharp.

Crosby is public enemy #1 in Philly. Best to just get a #87 Pens LPGA golf shirt (and skirt). :cool:

Any suggestions on what I should be stocking up on in my box? What should I be tying for the Jam???

the way the hatches are going tie some october caddis for the jam......lol..

flipnfly, honey colored honey bug, ice dub peacock and a hen hakle from my birds...killer for the drake..

im stocking up for a skunking.... i really need to get out to penns creek more

Rich - This should help.

http://thefeatheredhook.com/stream.html

Going by past experience, I'd bring a 6wt rod, and a full sink line, and lots of big streamers - 'cause you know we're gonna get a biblical rain event before/during the Jam.

It is ....inevitable. :roll:

flipnfly wrote:
im stocking up for a skunking....

No skunk for you. If you caught fish in that mess we had last year, you'll do just fine this year.

Good looking flies.

Another transitional (emerger) GD pattern.

Attachments

• DSC_0384.jpg
    DSC_0384.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 4
Very unique OL, is that your own creation? Sometimes it pays to have a variety of artificials in various stages of the life cycle.

the only reason i caught fish last year is because i went to tom gambers honey hole ...

sweet tie lefty is that antron for the shuck and back part?

Back