Green Drake Critique

T

Tiogadog

Please offer some feedback on this Green Drake Comparadun I tied. The plan is to join half of the state at Penns Creek. This fly is tied on a size 12 2x long hook. Really would like feedback on the tail and body color. I used Hareline Creamy Olive for the body.

Sorry for the poor iPhone picture.

Thanks.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 8
depending on where you fish I'd say the only thing i would change is going to a size 4.

My initial thought was too small too. Especially for Penns.

Like the guys said, probably somewhat on the small side for Penns. A decent size though for the drakes on some of the medium wild trout freestones.

The only thing I'd do with the tie (and bear in mind that I am at best an indifferent tyer in terms of proportion and quality..) is maybe bring the wing fibers down a bit more flush with the hook shank on each side to help with orientation and keeping the thing sitting up straight and perky. This would not necessarily need to be done at the vise though. You could adjust them when you put it on your leader.

Thanks for the feedback. I will tie some in larger sizes.

RLeep2:

I have always been turned off by the 180 degree nature of comparadun wings. I tend to tie all of my comparaduns like the one pictured. They sit a little lower in the water. Powered floatants work miracles these days. Thanks again.

I've fished the green drake hatch on Kettle Creek and Cross Fork Creek in Potter County, and they are much larger than a size 12 2X long hook. Agree with the rest, make them larger. Otherwise, nice tie!

On second thought...to piggyback on my green drake post from another thread...just fish that on Penns. Sulphurs are a bigger hit most nights during the drake hatch.

You should see if the trout like it. That's all that counts.

Back