Great trick for fighting a big fish down stream

I had a guide tell me this on the Delaware and it was unbelievable. This has saved me a number of big trout, give it a shot.
HERE
That's interesting. I'll have to give that one a try. Although it was kind of in my mind already. I recently had a big fish on a small stream on 6x and I knew that there was no way I was going to muscle him. I just gave him some time and eased the pressure. He took a #26 midge emerger in about 6' of water.
22" wild brown in the net.

Yep learned that trick long ago wheni first started fishing steelhead it really works as does dropping rod tip tip LOW to water and applying side pressure this throws the fish off kilter and shortens the battle usually... but fresh steel are prize fighters lol lol

Would love to see some tips for managing a fish running downstream on a mono rig. I feel as if the only solution I can offer for this is side pressure to softer water and then just moving your feet. You can't really offer line "slack" when fighting on the mono rig or a tightline system

After 55 years on the water, that's one I've never tried. Hope I get a big one on somewhere this year where I can try this.

Interesting for sure.
After always trying to keep some tension on the fish, to deliberately put a lot of slack - or belly - in the line, would be tough to do for me.

As I recall on my first trip for steelhead last year (Nov 2-6) I really had to readjust the way I combat fish. applying side pressure was highly important as moving the rod up and down doesn't really tire the fish, especially when I took the fish upstream.

Thanks for sharing this tip. I can think of many times over the years where I may have been able to employ this technique when a big carp freight trains me straight downstream. I am unsure how it will work in a lot of my carp streams because the water is deep and the current speed is fairly slow. But I’m interested in trying it to see if I could get a belly into the line that would turn them into coming back upstream. Chasing them downstream is generally never an option due to depth of water and trees and brush pretty solid along the steep banks. Putting the tip of the rod into the water would also help greatly in keeping the flyline out of the limbs and brush overhanging from the banks. I’m going to definitely try it this season. Good stuff!

Interesting for sure.
After always trying to keep some tension on the fish, to deliberately put a lot of slack - or belly - in the line, would be tough to do for me.
Once you get the rod tip deep down in the water the line takes care of it by itself. You don't feel like you're putting slack in it.

Good tip. I often have a big one run for the fast water and try to go down below. I often just leave off the pressure and they will swim back up. This idea takes it one step further. I am not sure I like having a lot of slack flyline out like that though. I find that I do not lose a lot of trout by leaving off the pressure. This seems especially true with small flies. I do use a hook with a barb so I think that helps keep them on. I've lost a few that swam between my legs so I keep my legs close together now. The biggest trout I have ever hooked took a tiny emerger on 7x and then took off downstream. I ran after it. Of course lost it. I was pleased that it did not break my line but just spit the hook.

I might try putting the rod tip in the water but more likely the next time I hook a big fish I will have forgotten about this tip, go into panic mode and hope for the best.

I could see this tactic on the Delaware or other big water or open sections of a stream like Penns but not sure how you pull it off if the water is full of boulders and other obstructions.

I might try putting the rod tip in the water but more likely the next time I hook a big fish I will have forgotten about this tip, go into panic mode and hope for the best.

I could see this tactic on the Delaware or other big water or open sections of a stream like Penns but not sure how you pull it off if the water is full of boulders and other obstructions.
You just need to pick your spots, I landed this brown on the north branch doing this, it has a lot of boulders likes Penns
20190714 212526

Nice fish Ryan. I was thinking more about boulders and other obstructions that are above the surface of the water. I hope I get a chance to try this tactic out in 2023.

Good tip. I often have a big one run for the fast water and try to go down below. I often just leave off the pressure and they will swim back up. This idea takes it one step further. I am not sure I like having a lot of slack flyline out like that though. I find that I do not lose a lot of trout by leaving off the pressure. This seems especially true with small flies. I do use a hook with a barb so I think that helps keep them on. I've lost a few that swam between my legs so I keep my legs close together now. The biggest trout I have ever hooked took a tiny emerger on 7x and then took off downstream. I ran after it. Of course lost it. I was pleased that it did not break my line but just spit the hook.
Does the barbed hook really make that much of a difference in keeping a fish on? I don't think so and have come to believe that it's really all about pressure applied efficiently and correctly with good adjustments. I would even venture to say that a barb could potentially, given room to move about, widen the initial hole that it made and make it more likely for it to loosen and fall out. I'm glad I made the switch to barbless a while back, makes releases super easy (the fly just falls out once I net them). I find barbed hooks to be more of a hindrance, it lengthens release time and can call for for additional tooling to get the hook out. It's also a pain when it stabs my fingers and fabric where it can be difficult to get out.

I'm always amazed watching traditional tackle fishermen use barbed hooks on lures with several treble style hooks lose a fish.

^A treble hook is a guaranteed way to kill a fish and most assuredly a nightmare to work with once the fish is landed, especially incidents where a mesh net is used (I've been in those instances when landing pickerel for a friend who used lures with multiple treble hooks). On lures with multiple hooks it is often impossible to keep tension where you want it. Often times with multiple hooks the hooks can put force where it is not ideal and cause the lure to rip out of the fish's mouth. Time and time again the single hook has proven itself to be the most viable way to keep a fish attached.

^A treble hook is a guaranteed way to kill a fish and most assuredly a nightmare to work with once the fish is landed, especially incidents where a mesh net is used (I've been in those instances when landing pickerel for a friend who used lures with multiple treble hooks). On lures with multiple hooks it is often impossible to keep tension where you want it. Often times with multiple hooks the hooks can put force where it is not ideal and cause the lure to rip out of the fish's mouth. Time and time again the single hook has proven itself to be the most viable way to keep a fish attached.
There are studies that show barbed hooks are less of a problem than you may think. I mainly use ones with a micro barb but see no problem using barbed hooks for catch and release fishing for trout. I have rarely had trouble using treble hooks either. See study below.

Last edited:
Well I have never fought a fish with my rod underwater, but I have used spinners with the rod in the water when the creek is deep and fast. It is very effective.

There are studies that show barbed hooks are less of a problem than you may think. I mainly use ones with a micro barb but see no problem using barbed hooks for catch and release fishing for trout. I have rarely had trouble using treble hooks either. See study below.

I'll give it a read tomorrow, about to head out of work.

Micro barbs aren't as bad as the more aggressive barbs, however I fail to see the point of using barbs as I don't think it has any real positive benefit and the negatives associated with its use from the hookup to release of the fish greatly out-weigh any potential positive benefit.

That's an interesting read, I stand corrected, however I am still going to use barbless hooks. I don't buy the over penetration caused by barbless hook being harmful as the hooks I use are too small to puncture vital parts of the fish. Buy yes, a barbless hook would inherently penetrate more.

I think the more important aspect is the skill of the angler unhooking the fish. Knowing a fish's inherent out-of-water exposure time and general "durability" is vital to ensuring each fish gets a safe release.

Also, the idea of a native brook taking all three points of a treble hurt me in ways I didn't think it could.

Back