Great tips

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Here is a great bunch of tips (10). The author observed trout while diving and watching anglers fish (like Gary LaFountaine often did). Click "Next" above each pic to see each tip.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/kentucky/2007/01/going-deep-name-trout-research

Ask a trout guide "What are they eating?" and he or she will likely answer, "A good drift."

JackM wrote:
Ask a trout guide "What are they eating?" and he or she will likely answer, "A good drift."

Lol..........true IMO. Give a noobie and skilled FFer the same fly, tippet, rig, etc., with both fishing on the same stream at the same time, and see what happens.

That is a pretty cool article. Virtually all of it I instinctively "know" and found to be spot on. But even so, I often fail to follow through on stream, instead focusing on less important things to comply with standard fly fishing thought. This helps put things back into focus.

Lol..........true IMO. Give a noobie and skilled FFer the same fly, tippet, rig, etc., with both fishing on the same stream at the same time, and see what happens.
newby catches the biggest fish caught out of the stream that year~that is what happens~anybody claim they haven't fallen victim to beginners luck is indulging in selective memory. :) :) :)

One of the best points I took from this is to play with weight before changing flies while nymphing. I try this often, changing the distance of my shot from my fly (usually between 8 - 15 inches above the fly), but once I determine the size of my shot, based on the current and depth of the stream, I usually stick with it, regardless of how well I'm doing.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

awesome post!!!!

Back