Great Fly Fishing Painting suggestions

Prospector

Prospector

I need to buy a gift for an avid fly fisherman and I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions for a painting that looks like a Pennsylvania Stream. Ideally it would be a PA setting but that’s not required. He has fished all over the state but seems to be most attached to NCPA, the Pete Maquette and to streams in Yellowstone NP.

I have Ned Smith’s The Last Drake where a brook trout is leaping for a green drake and in the background is a rock ledge and mountain laurel in bloom. It looks like many streams in NCPA. That is the only one I’m aware of.

Do the old PA Trout stamps have associated prints on sale somewhere? Those might work well.

I’m sure Dave_W will comment. He does some beautiful paintings himself but not sure if they are for sale.

Yes, that Weaver guy is pretty good. :-D

There is also another Ned Smith print, "The Sting of the Hook" of a hooked, leaping brook trout.

I have no advice about how to find it. Sorry.

Another option: The Little Juniata River Association is selling a 16x24 print of the Little Juniata looking upstream at the Spruce Creek Bridge. The price of a mounted, wrapped print is $150.00. If you want information about this one, you could email bjuniata@verizon.net. This is a limited edition print of 100 copies.

I have a print my brother gave me hanging on my wall. Jack Paluh is an outdoorsman and artist and has scenery artwook that might fit your requirements.

fishing artwork, for me, in my home, would be one of these.

https://www.admaddox.com/

I think art and things we hang in our homes are a very personal choice. I've been given many fishing gifts over the years. The wall hanging stuff was never hung on a wall. The wall hangings were nice, to somebody, but not in my style which is why I would never even try to buy artwork for somebody else. My best fishing related gift ever was an engraved letherman sidekick that has been fishing with me for 15 years now. Love that thing.

Just to clarify, I’m looking for a scenic stream print with mountains as integral to the background and the stream flow plus common trees and vegetation recognizable as part of it. Something that looks like a PA stream setting would be ideal.

I agree that people have unique tastes and I will likely get this person’s input.

I like salmonoid's idea. I really like this one:

Jack Paluh:
The Brook Sings in Winter

Your gift sounds like a thoughtful idea.

Jack Paluh is a great artist. I have 5 of his pieces (Elk, Black Bear, Snowshoe Hare, Wolves and Gobblers/hens on a mountain top). That last one reminds of a specific high mountain clearing in the Hammersley Fork watershed.

I didn’t think of his work until a few of you mentioned it. After perusing his website I did find a stream scene with a fly fisherman. Thanks for the reminder.

In addition to these excellent suggestions- may I suggest that if you have a photo of a scene or your buddy would find special you could have Dave W paint it for you.

My buddy Glenn G. painted this picture from a photo. Those from SWPA may recognize Meadow Run in Fayette Co.

It’s nice to recall. Poop- pretty mod That Pulah is affordable.

I need to get one of those Little J paintings.

Here the picture and painting from my buddy Glenn.

https://imgur.com/a/geVwdvA

My wife is an artist and can paint almost anything from a picture. Here are two hanging on my walls that she did for me. One is steel head from Michigan and the second is from a PA patch a few years back. Sorry for the angle and glare but she wont let me take them off the walls for a better pic . . lol . . she is very particular when it come to her art but I love them and she has great attention to detail. The 1st one is colored pencil and the 2nd is an artist crayon.

Let me know if you have any interest.

Tight Lines !!

Attachments

• Trout 1.jpg
    Trout 1.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Trout 2.jpg
    Trout 2.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 3
O4T,

They are really nice. I particularly like the second one: It reminds me of how trout often get away from me.

It must be nice to have talent. I never got past stick figures.

Your wife's paintings would be a nice option for Prospector.

Thank you, she is quite talented and has had her artwork in galleries when we lived out in Colorado. Another idea is her Fly Fishing Wreath shown below. This is an older picture before I started tying flies as now she is gonna make one for me with all my own tied flies. Thats a special present if it interests anyone and is very personal. Last because I dont want to highjack the post is her Christmas Ornaments. She hand painted the one below for me. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Fly Fishing Wreath.jpg
    Fly Fishing Wreath.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Ornament Front.JPG
    Ornament Front.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Ornament Back.JPG
    Ornament Back.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 3
Out4Trout.

I REELLY like that ornament.

Prospector, I don't know many artists, but I can tell you that Dave W does great work.

www.rodandbrush.com

Not many landscape paintings on his site, but the underwater art is great.

Someone else suggested you send a photo of a favorite stream to someone who can paint. I like that idea.

I like Derek DeYoung stuff
https://www.derekdeyoung.com/

Prospector wrote:
Ideally it would be a PA setting but that’s not required. He has fished all over the state but seems to be most attached to NCPA

Do the old PA Trout stamps have associated prints on sale somewhere? Those might work well.

Prospector,
The PA trout stamps were all made into limited edition prints if my memory serves me correctly. You could probably find some of them on ebay.

Off the top of my mind, some excellent contemporary artists who paint FFing stream and river scenes (especially out West), include: Galen Mercer, Brett Smith, Bob White, Eldridge Hardee, Chet Reneson, John Swan, and especially Adriano Manocchia.
There are others.

One thing to consider: Would you like to provide your friend with a print or an original? Prints from any of the artists above should be readily available and reasonably priced - likely in the range of low to mid hundreds of dollars if framed, probably less if unframed. Ditto for trout stamp prints. Any decent frame shop can do a nice job framing the prints if you would like to provide something ready to hang.
If you wish to aquire or commission an original, many of these artists can do this but the price would more likely be in the thousands and would take time. Also consider the size of the art and wall space at your friend's house, as there may be limited space. Oftentimes with original art, smaller is better as the cost tends to be lower and the owner can find a place to display the work.

All, thanks for the kind words and endorsements.

Prospector,
I have painted all the well known trout streams in PA as part of a long term project that is still unfolding. Most of these images, however, are not viewable on the net (some can be seen on this forum) and aren't generally for sale.

As an example of a PA stream with mountains, the below image shows the Juniata River near Thompsontown. It is acrylic on canvas and 8x10 inches. If something like this appeals to you, feel free to PM if you would like to discuss or have any additional questions.

Attachments

• J78.jpg
    J78.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 3
Back