Great Easy Knot

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Courtesy of Midge Magic: Great knot especially for small flies.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 8.45.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 8.45.59 PM.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 6
Great knot. Use it almost exclusively. Davy Wotton came up with it to my knowledge.

The Davey knot is a nice compact knot great for tying small flies on like you mentioned.

Heres a nice animated look at it - http://www.animatedknots.com/davy/#ScrollPoint

With some practice you can grab the end of your line with hemos and tie the knot with virtually no tag end to trim.

That's about the only knot I use on small flies. I do need to learn how to tie is with hemos.

Tried it a couple of times, went back to the improved clinch. I need to give it a proper vetting. The more I look at the Davy knot the more it looks like a timber hitch to me.

Good knot! My buddy used it exclusively this past summer while bass fishing with copolymer line. Held just as well as improved clinch or other popular knots.

The things is, you can tie an improved clinch knot and create a small loop at the hook eye, which give the fly a little more free movement. I don't think you can do that with this knot. Looks like a good knot to know for low light conditions, a quick easy knot for when you can't see as well.

Will someone clarify their range of "small" flies? I would consider a size 16 small but I'm guessing some of you guys get into 22-24 or smaller.

I learned it from my copy of Midge Magic, which is one of my favorite ff books. The only time I don't use it, are for streamers (loop knot), and if I'm dropping something off a dry fly, I use a clinch, bc it's easier to tie when there isn't an eye.

Double Davy knot. It's legit. It works great on small flies and smaller tippet that tends to kink with a clinch knot. I was using it exclusively for a while but started to get lazy and went back to the clinch knot. My biggest problem with the Davy knot was it's tough to tie with my fat fingers. It wants to twist in my hand and I lose it. Maybe I need to experiment with using hemos.

30+ years with the trilene knot and I'm stuck in my ways. I don't consider the fly small until 20.

I'll have to try that one.

AKA a Figure 8 Knot. GG

Back