Great day to tie flies

dc410

dc410

With the snow stacking up outside ..... what a great day to tie some flies and reminisce about fly fishing adventures of the past. I just don't fish a whole lot of traditional Catskill style dry flies much anymore so it has literally been many, many years since I have tied any of them at all.

I just got the itch to tie a few today and it took me back over 3 decades ago when I was a teenager trying to learn how to tie flies as well as fly fish. Way back then, I only tied two kinds of dry flies - The Adams and the Light Cahill. I tied them in a variety of sizes (usually 12-18) and when a dark colored mayfly was emerging I fished an Adams and when the lighter colored ones came off I went with the Light Cahill trying to match the size as close as I could. Back in the day I tied these flies with some lower quality materials such as a few old Indian necks for hackle, today I'm fortunate to have some better quality materials to tie with.

So as a throwback today, I tied up a few Adams and Light Cahill Catskill style dry flies on size 14 hooks which was generally my favorite size dry fly way back in the day.

I vividly remember a June evening back over 30 years ago fishing the FFO area of the West Branch of the Octararo Creek in southern Lancaster County. As evening approached a lighter colored mayfly started a heavy emergence. With my Shakespeare fiberglass Wonder Rod paired with an old Phleuger reel, I fished the last hour or two of daylight that night until I lost every size 14 or 16 Light Cahill that I had in my box. I ended up catching well over 20 fish as it was one of the heaviest hatches that I had ever witnessed. As I think back to that night today I realize that I had witnessed a very good Sulphur hatch and ensuing spinnerfall that evening. Back then I didn't even know what a Sulphur mayfly was but the Light Cahill pattern stole the show that evening for me as a young, learning flyfisherman. Here are the two patterns (tied in size 14, of course, my favorite size).

Attachments

• Adams.JPG
    Adams.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Light Cahill.JPG
    Light Cahill.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 2
John,

You made great use of your snow day. Great looking ties

Dave

Those look really good. The traditional dry Fly's are my Achilles heal tieing wise.

They are really nice dc.

I was tying today. First time since Sept and being a newbie it was like starting over after a 4 month layoff.

Great looking flies. Love the Adams.

Was hoping for a snowy day of tying while watching the snow while gazing out the window. Instead, no snow and went to Slate Run and broke the budget on materials.:)

I don't fish them much, but Adams are my favorite dry. When I see one it just screams the essence of fly fishing to me.

Like may of you, between bouts of shoveling, I managed to have some fun time. I spent that time catching up on some art projects this weekend. The image below will be auctioned at the CVTU banquet. I'm finishing up the framing which includes a fly mounted shadow box style with oval cut matt.

Attachments

• IMG_4008.JPG
    IMG_4008.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 2
That's a gorgeous piece of artwork, Dave. Thanks for sharing it with us. I hope it brings a great price at the CVTU banquet auction.

Nice Adams, John. Or John Adams, nice dry fly!!! :-D They are such an effective "catchall" dry fly.

As always, good stuff, Dave!

Very nice, especially the Adams. Just something about the way it looks, and one I don't tie often but hope to soon. For now I'm tying wooly buggers for our RRTU March Madness. Around 80 of us from the NJ TU chapters donate them to Wounded Warrior Project, Project Healing Waters and TU National.

Back