Great customer service from Allen FlyFishing

albatross

albatross

I just wanted to share a great experience I had recently with Justin and the staff of Allen FlyFishing.

I had an hour to fish on my way home from a meeting on Tuesday (Aug21). I only managed one fish, but it was a dandy. As I tore down my rod in the dim light of evening I somehow had the tippet get tangled around the tip of the rod and as I tried to pull the line back through the guides I snapped the rod about an inch down below the tip-top (2 inches from the tip).

I would have expected to have to return the broken rod for replacement, and I imagine such a process might take several weeks. Normally this would be just fine, but I'm leaving on the fishing trip of my life on September 8 (Bighorn and YNP). I wrote Justin (the owner/founder) and explained my situation. He asked for a photo to document the broken rod and he is shipping me a replacement rod today. I should have the new rod in plenty of time for my trip.

Thanks for going above and beyond my expectations. This rod, the Allen Myth in 10 ft 4 wt, has quickly become my favorite rod and I can't imagine doing this trip without it.

Have the same rod. I had one of the snake guides break off. Emailed him with a photo and had a replacement section in 3 days. The replacement section didn't fit properly. Emailed him again and had an entire new rod with a return shipping label for the old rod to be sent back. Best customer service I've experienced.

Freaking awesome. I won that 2/3wt ATS rod of theirs at the jam, and its my favorite small stream rod, for sure. Good to know if anything ever happens to it, they got my arse.

YOU ARE THE KING ALBY!!!

of breaking rods.

Enjoy your trip.

RyGuyFi wrote
YOU ARE THE KING ALBY!!! of breaking rods.

Shoosh! Don't let the guys at Allen hear that.

I think I just fish a lot more than the rest of you, justifying a higher break rate...

Had a similar experience because I broke two Allen Myth rods so far in 10'4 weight. Hmmm...two broken rods? I also had great customer service from Justin at Allen.

After reading this thread, I have to draw the conclusion that either people who fish Allen Myth 10'4" rods are abusive to their gear, or this particular model rod has a latent weakness. :)

That being said, if Redington hadn't replaced my broken Wayfarer rod recently, the Allen ATS might have had the chance of becoming my backpacking fly rod.

I would have been interested in hearing what you thought about that as a backpacking rod, Sal.

Figured I would bring up this thread again after an awesome experience with this company as well. I purchased a 4wt ATS about a month ago. It showed up with a chip in the wooden reel seat. nothing major, mostly cosmetic, but bare wood was exposed. I really didn't care much about the blemish because I got it on one of their clearance sales and was very satisfied with the performance of the rod. I still fished it several times never thinking much about it. I emailed them a few days ago to see if I should varnish or epoxy or otherwise treat the reel seat to protect the wood. Justin emails me back (on a Sunday!) stating that it never should have shipped out in that condition and he was arranging for the warehouse to send a new section to me. I really wasn't expecting that type of service for a rod that I ended up paying less than $120 for.

Back