Great Article on Salmon River

B

Bobert540

This was passed along to me by one of my good fishing buddies. One number that really hit home is the amount of fish taken in the 2 yr time period of the study. Would love to see it c&r only for steelhead,trout and Atlantic.

https://vedavoo.com/stand-for-the-salmon-river/

Good article. It is my experience as well after fishing that river for the last 12 years that I have seen the population of steelhead decline over the last two seasons. I have read articles on the theory of the Thiamine deficiency in the Steelhead due to a kill off of the Alewives from long harsh winters in '14 and '15. Lets hope the river rebounds after the 2-3 year old fish start coming back.

I do agree that it should be a catch and release river for all Steelhead, Browns and Atlantics. Although, I believe that is generally the norm outside of the Salmon Season.

It just seems like 8k+ fish harvested is a very high number even over a 2 year study period.

This year seemed to have started out slow but some of the pictures of fish I have seen is promising.

I live in syracuse and don't even want to fish there anymore. The past 6 times ive been there I haven't even seen a steelhead.

Back