Grannoms

This may be a bit premature to market, but here's an item for anyone who is a LaFountaine nut, and likes tying and fishing ESP's and DSP's.

In Gary's book he recommends Dazzle and Dazzleaire as a yarn having the clear trilobal filaments in it. Vintage skeins are still out there, but it's hard to find the colors listed in Gary's pattern by pattern descriptions. (A side note: I have NEVER EVER seen a vintage yarn with the word Antron anywhere on the label. Thus I procured a yarn Gary recommended that is still out there on Ebay.)

So I went to work and over the last several years found on EBAY, the colors listed for the top patterns in Gary's Caddisflies in vintage Dazzle and Dazzleaire yarn.

I now have 70 cards with 10 colors spooled on each. You can tie all of the patterns in Caddisflies with this recommended yarn. You can see the clear trilobal (here Creslan 50-60%) filaments mixed in with the colored nylon (40%) filaments. The stuff really does sparkle. It's different than mono-color sparkle yarns/ "antron" yarns out there today. It is a combination of colored and "clear" filaments.

I'll post more pictures if you are interested, to authenticate the materials.

I'm definitely not here to argue the "original" antron used by Gary. I won't say anything else other than I found one of the yarns he recommended in all the colors necessary.

Maybe you're interested in a full card of 10 colors.

Attachments

• s-l500 (1).jpg
    s-l500 (1).jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Creslan1.jpg
    Creslan1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 5
Below are the labels from the original skeins of Dazzle and Dazzleaire.

And here is a card of 10 colors which cover all of the color combinations in Caddisflies. I still have yet to draw up a little introduction and instructions for these cards, but I will include that if I see anyone is interested in ordering.

This was just a fun side project. It's a limited supply; it's not going to pay my daughters college tuition. Let me know if you'd like a card, but I am asking for a small payment & S&H. I'm hesitant to post a price here, maybe there's a proper place for that. Let me know.

PLEASE remember this was just a fun project for me, if you want to check out the yarn, let me know.

Attachments

• 14722.jpg
    14722.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 13422.jpg
    13422.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 5
I keep it simple for the grannoms. Natural elk hair, blend of brown and black dubbing, brown or black palmered hackle for an elk hair caddis.

Peacock and partridge wet fly.

Those 2 flies catch me a ton of fish every year for me. Skittering caddis is one of the more enjoyable times for me. Making for aggressive strikes.

My guess is they will hit around the 15th of April this year.

Pretty sure that Michael's has Dazzle.

Back