GPS on the laptop

Z

zuno412

Does anyone here use a GPS receiver in conjunction with software on their laptop? A guy I work with was telling me about the concept, and the realtime navigation on the big screen seems pretty slick. The receivers aren't too pricey and basically serve the same purpose; I was mostly wondering about the software. Anyone have experience / opinions?

-Kurt

There is a lot of information out there about this, but I'll tell you what I know. Google Earth is able to display your Garmin GPS points and tracks if you download an attachment called DNR Garmin, available at http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mis/gis/tools/arcview/extensions/DNRGarmin/DNRGarmin.html .

There is an expensive piece of software called ArcView that is capable of making great maps and interacting with a GPS, but the expense makes it not worth it for the general public.

I have heard that the less expensive DeLorme Atlas is a great resource and can interact with GPS, but I have no experience with it. Anybody else out there?

I know you can add a GPS receiver to a laptop. I've always wondered about the usefulness. As someone who repairs PC's for a living, the last thing I would want to do is drive around with the laptop's harddrive spinning. You're begging for a crashed disk. Maybe if you have a "ruggedized" laptop that would be different. I also don't see hiking with a laptop. Finally, the battery life on most laptops preclude this use anyway. Maybe I am missing something.

Anyway, I have GPS software from Garmin on my laptop and a Garmin handheld. I can use the software on my laptop to plan routes, set waypoints and specify the maps to download to the handheld. But I use the handheld when I go out. After I use it, I can upload and save the GPS information on my computer.

as a tangent off of this post I have been looking for a GPS unit. I am just looking for a reasonably priced GPS handheld unit that gets good reception in a forest so that I can use it when scouting for archery, and also while fishing new streams to help plot out some good locations.

Padraic, excellent point made with the hard drive aspect; that never crossed my mind. I have a power inverter, so i wasn't concerned about battery life. I'll ask some police friends if they know anything about how their laptops survive on the road abuse...

PennsCreek - I have a Magellan Meridian Gold thats probably about 5 years old now. My experience with it is this: if you can't see the sky at all, forget about a signal. If you can see some light through the leaves, you have a chance; if the leaves are off the trees you'll get a signal. Usually when I'm fishing a stream in a wooded area, there is enough open sky above to pick up enough satellites for an accurate position. The LCD did freeze on me while ice fishing, but Magellan replaced it free. Newer models may have better reception; I'm sure some others can shed some light on this...

Well, from what I saw through the security screen... those laptops are mounted to the dash pretty firmly. What I think would be bad is having the laptop bounce around on the passenger seat.

I have a number of GPS units including the DeLorme "puck" GPS that connects to my laptop through a USB port. It doesn't work very well for driving if the driver is trying to use it. If you have a co-pilot who can use it to give the driver directions then it's ok.

Back