Got to say goodbye to an old friend

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

I've had this net for a long time, I'm guessing fifteen years. It was just a cheap frabill net, but I loved the shape and the deep rubber netting. Today, I was leaning forward about to net a fish and had a balance slip. I put a little weight on the net and it snapped in four places. The net was already very mishaped, it was just a matter of time.

I purchased a couple nice Brodin nets before they closed for a great deal. I just don't love the shape of them but I'm going to give it a shot. If I can't take it maybe I will be in the market for a new net.

Attachments

• 20240428_213221.jpg
    20240428_213221.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 105
Sorry to hear that, Ryan. Getting 15 years out of a net is rather impressive. My mesh rubber usually wears out before then and then small trout start falling out of my net.

I buy those cheapo-Cortland nets from Wally-World. They work well.

Ryan…you need a better story..

How about you were fishing a dry dropper through a pod of trout and the fish took both flies. After a 15 min fight you somehow got both 18” fish into the net and then BAM…the weight of the fish snapped the net.

RIP old Netty. Or Bill? It has to have a name for the story to live on (y)

Ryan…you need a better story..

How about you were fishing a dry dropper through a pod of trout and the fish took both flies. After a 15 min fight you somehow got both 18” fish into the net and then BAM…the weight of the fish snapped the net.
I love it! But they were at least 20"!

Love the cheap 19.99 dollar net. Been on my second. I get about 10 yrs on them too. Plus if i lose it im not too upset not like losing $120+ fishpond.. as long as it gets the job done fish dont care what there scooped up in lol

I'm also cheap when nets are concerned. I purchased one from Cabelas a few years back (20 ish) because it was large and had a rubber mesh. The handle was woefully thin so I wrapped clothes line around it followed by electrical tape. Won't win any beauty contests but does the job when needed

Get one of those huge nets like the competition guys use then you will be in style. Or one of those giant long handled wood ones so you can walk around shouting and pointing like a guide.

Just watch some of the inexpensive nets with the clear rubber netting have holes that even a 10 inch trout can slide right through.

Not breaking out the net for a 10 incher lol lol swinging for the fence 😉

Not breaking out the net for a 10 incher lol lol swinging for the fence 😉
I don't understand what your point here is. I don't like taking fish out of the water if I don't have to, so I net them all.

I don't understand what your point here is. I don't like taking fish out of the water if I don't have to, so I net them all.
For me it really depends on the rig I'm fishing, if it's a single streamer than often I'll just remove the fly while the fish is in the water. If it's any kind of 2 fly rig or small fly they are getting the net cause I don't need a errant fly to the hand. :) Either way I rarely touch the fish and they are only out of water a very limited time.

I mostly leave fish in water and get the hook out Unless its a larger fish then i will net thats all. And point was trying to be a little funny thats all

Back