Got Lucky, Indeed!

M

maxima12

Well, snooping around on ebay, I found a fellow selling what was believed, Super hen grizzly necks. I could nor figure one or several. I think nobody else figured it out also. So I bought them for 5.75 and 7.95 postage.

They arrived on 8/26/19. I did not get one as thought, I got 31, super hen grizzly. I fell off my chair! All individual packed! Superb! Beautiful! I am so, so excited! Now, let me tell you why I am so excited!

Back, many years ago, at Fran Betters Adirondack Fly Shop, while sitting drinking coffee we would discuss flies, rods, patterns, leaders etc. One day while talking flies, I suggested, I wanted to do a series of flies called, "Just Adams". Tied in every color you could think of.

I figured 18 different colors in assorted sizes, all packed in a clear 18 compartment box. 1 box 10's.1box 12's and so on! We both decided this would work but neither tried it. So time passed by and by and by!

So, 20 years later, i will now do what i thought of! The wings of a Adams fly is what i always thought stood out the best. Upright and also spent. Not the pointed type of grizzly, the superb look of the perfect rounded wing. Well that is history, For the next several years, i will be putting together the "Just Adams Box". Not just any box, A presentation box of quality, labeled, enhanced, keepsake. Use them or look at them. Many can follow but none will be the Maxima12 style. Seems evey person has their own style of tying. I never did like tying exactly like someone else. And with this box, why not, "Just Adams Leaders".

When it comes to fly tying," you never end what you started". Looks like my pals will have lots of Adams, seconds naturally!

Maxima12

PS. Funny how tomorrow brings a new light on yesterdays thoughts!

Brad, yes for sure. But the whole point of all that ruffle is:

Fly tying has many aspects, come up with an idea of yours. I can sit and tie Gapens Muddler Minnow everyday for the rest of my life but it is Gapens! I can tie Carrie Stevens Streamer Patterns but it is still Carrie's Idea.

The cutting edge, is a idea that is new. The Adams idea by no means is a blowout. Adams fly pattern has been around for ever. The idea of taking it to a new step, is a start in the right direction. I do come up with some doozies sometimes. The fact that a 9 1/2 Labrador Brook Trout caught on one of my doozies, gives me the determination to try a little harder.

Bottom line, Have fun tying all that is known and have fun tying all that is unknown! The benefits will amaze you.

Somewhere out there a new Skues, Gorden, Atherton, Darbee is born!

Maxima12

Well you can't take credit for a yellow body Adams here in Potter :) but maybe they got them from you!...when I open my small fly shop here in Galeton in 1995 the 1st thing when locals came in was to ask do I have any yellow body Adams! I answered " Yeah...I just sold out & I was just going to tie some up" !

Fly shop, the only one I knew of was at the gateway to heaven. Pine and Genesee Forks. Did not know of another great one. Well, the yellow one's, been there done that! Need 10 dozen, I will tie! Couple days work! I would suggest my wet leaders for your shop! You can get some but where? Had all Pine at one time. Matter of fact had most! You can do it yourself, like many have done! Seems my yellows talked a little! Might have come from Kettle, since everyone had some, as I gave them out to all. And since I have handed out a thousand leaders in your area over the years, I am sure the boys will remember. The red twist ties, always had a reason for this, yours or mine. Well mine you can surely determine! Well if you follow me, the Brookland, Genesee Forks, West Branch, Sylvania Diner, Owassee, Eugeeny Frome, Smittys, Gaines gas station were old stomping grounds. Always loved the fishing behind the Carbon Plant and above.

Would like to supply my flies and leaders in a Galeton shop! Only one problem, I always like volume. Volume I can count on. Some times people want to sell my flies at $2.50 each and leaders at $5.25 each. I frown heavily on this! My feelings, I am not in business to rape fellow fishermen, I am a fisherman. I am in business to provide a service for fishermen to enjoy! Always had the best of luck in this business just being normal!

Contact me if you want to be normal, If you want to get rich fast, call someone else!

Maxima12

One thing all great fly shops have: Timing and Contacts! You don't have it down, you don't survive! As of right now, 8/27/19, you should be preparing for 4/20. I have already been in prep since 6/19. And like every year, it is not enough time! But I wade through it!

Maxima12

maxima12 wrote:
Fly shop, the only one I knew of was at the gateway to heaven. Pine and Genesee Forks. Did not know of another great one. Well, the yellow one's, been there done that! Need 10 dozen, I will tie! Couple days work! I would suggest my wet leaders for your shop! You can get some but where? Had all Pine at one time. Matter of fact had most! You can do it yourself, like many have done! Seems my yellows talked a little! Might have come from Kettle, since everyone had some, as I gave them out to all. And since I have handed out a thousand leaders in your area over the years, I am sure the boys will remember. The red twist ties, always had a reason for this, yours or mine. Well mine you can surely determine! Well if you follow me, the Brookland, Genesee Forks, West Branch, Sylvania Diner, Owassee, Eugeeny Frome, Smittys, Gaines gas station were old stomping grounds. Always loved the fishing behind the Carbon Plant and above.

Would like to supply my flies and leaders in a Galeton shop! Only one problem, I always like volume. Volume I can count on. Some times people want to sell my flies at $2.50 each and leaders at $5.25 each. I frown heavily on this! My feelings, I am not in business to rape fellow fishermen, I am a fisherman. I am in business to provide a service for fishermen to enjoy! Always had the best of luck in this business just being normal!

Contact me if you want to be normal, If you want to get rich fast, call someone else!

Maxima12

I no longer have my shop. It was back from 1995 to 2000. It was called Northern Tier Outfitters. Did some guiding, rod building & commercial tying for others. It was in my garage in Galeton. Sold mostly flies, my rods, & tying materials.

The other place was Jack's tackle behind the Pine Creek tavern. Jack moved back down to phoenixville when his dad got ill. Now there's just me since 2008

Back