Google Map Trick

U

UFMGuy

Here's a Google Map trick that has a lot of uses from the guy who makes the GPS Fishing Guides.

Whenever you see a stream or specific place you want to check out on Google Maps, place your mouse curser on that spot, right click and choose "What's Here?"

The GPS coordinates for that location will appear in the search box at the top of Google Maps. You can then copy those coordinates into your GPS and it will take you right to that spot. I actually use this whenever I'm going to an address. GPS addresses are never perfect and sometimes horrible. I enter the address into Google and then find the destination on satellite view. I then get the coordinates for the driveway of my destination and enter them into my GPS. This is dead on accurate!

You can also, copy the GPS coordinates into the destination box of Google Maps to get directions to that spot.

The uses for this trick don't stop at Google Maps.

If you use satellite view like I do, you know that sometimes Google Maps has good images and sometimes they don't. I use Google first then look at Bing, Yahoo, and Mapquest for different views. Bing has really good aerial photography in some places when you zoom in.

All you have to do is copy the coordinates from Google Maps as above and paste them into the search boxes for these other maps. You can then zoom right to thase same locations and easily look at their satellite images.

I'm probably giving away more than I should but hopefully you'll find this information useful.

Happy Fishing to All!

UFM Guy

If you'd like to see what I do, here's the link to my website.

http://ultimatefishingmaps.com/home/default.aspx

great info.

UFMGuy ... do these apps give you access points, parking info, etc?

Heck yeah I do the same thing but I do it on my phone. Its my way of remembering holes.

And cj ding new ones.

Stagger_Lee

In the GPS Fishing Guide, many of the destinations take you directly to Access and Parking however many of the waters listed do not have any formal access or parking areas so you sometimes have to be creative. Some waters don't even have road access and must be hiked to.

I have tried as much as possible to get you to places where you can actually park your car and fish, I have traveled all over PA using the product myself and will continue to make improvements. While it's not perfect, I use it all the time and have fished many streams I would otherwise never have found.

Another trick in google. Google maps doesn't normally show the stream names. Click "get directions" and make your mode of transportation bicycle. It then shows creek names. You dont actually have to search for directions, just use the map in this mode.

bigslackwater wrote:
Another trick in google. Google maps doesn't normally show the stream names. Click "get directions" and make your mode of transportation bicycle. It then shows creek names. You dont actually have to search for directions, just use the map in this mode.

Are you sure this works all the time? I tried it & it made no difference. You're talking about Google Maps not Google Earth, right?

Leo

A nice program I found for entering/managing locations in my GPS is "MyPOI Manager". You can pick a location on a map (I think it uses Google Maps) and then upload the location to a Garmin or TomTom GPS.

Great advice, UFM! Very helpful and appreciated. These hints, while not giving anything in particular away, really help newbies try to get into the sport

Very nice. Thanks, helps a lot. I'm new there had to be away todo that.

Back