Goodbye 2020 License (Winter Wonderland Fly Fishing)

Swattie87

Swattie87

Had a chance to get out today with my wife, and get one last outing in with the 2020 licenses. We weren't expecting to catch much, and I had to spend quite a bit of time studying snowfall and rainfall maps from the last two storms to try to find an area that wouldn't be blown out. (A welcome problem to have after the extended low water earlier in the year.) We were just hoping to enjoy a day out in the Winter woods, try out the new packable down jackets we got for Christmas, and enjoy a beer and a leftover Christmas roast beef sandwich with horsey mayo somewhere other than the couch. (I even bought Amoroso rolls, and my FIL brought us some of our favorite beer we normally can only get when visiting him out west.)

We drove about two and a half hours north, past many, many streams that were completely blown out, but as we started up into the headwaters of our destination watershed we noticed things starting to clear up a little and look borderline fishable. We went up above one or two more tributaries and our stream started to look darn good, with a good three or four inches of snow remaining on its banks.

I didn't take a water temp, but in a word, it was "cold". My new down jacket kept me plenty warm, my feet would get cold if I stood nymphing a run for too long, but overall not bad. I had some mild line and guide freeze, but nothing debilitating. My guess is the air temp was somewhere right around freezing. Car said 32 when we got back and started for home.

We fished an egg/nymph rig, all fish came on the nymph...size 12ish dark Stonefly. Only landed three, but all three were nice fish. Probably had another three on and elude capture. My wife caught the big one, at 16", and my bigger one went just shy of 15". We couldn't dig up anything from the big slow holes, everything we caught or missed was in typical mid-depth feeding runs. So it seems the high water had them out feeding, despite the cold temps. The one larger Brown clearly had a recent large meal given its distended belly.

Got my money's worth out of my 2020 license, and probably had my best year ever for "large" small stream Trout, but this outing was definitely one of my favorites.

Attachments

• 12-27-20 (3) - PAFF.jpg
    12-27-20 (3) - PAFF.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 12-27-20 (4) - PAFF.jpg
    12-27-20 (4) - PAFF.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 12-27-20 (7) - PAFF.jpg
    12-27-20 (7) - PAFF.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 12-27-20 (8) - PAFF.jpg
    12-27-20 (8) - PAFF.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 12-27-20 (11) - PAFF.jpg
    12-27-20 (11) - PAFF.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 12-27-20 (17) - PAFF.jpg
    12-27-20 (17) - PAFF.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 12-27-20 (18) - PAFF.jpg
    12-27-20 (18) - PAFF.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 2
Very nice Swatty. Sounds like a great way to end the year. On a positive note no less. Not much else positive in 2020 to say the least.

Kudos for researching and driving 2 1/2 hrs to find fishable water and fish. Given the hit and miss nature of winter fishing, and my cold tolerance of about 3 or 4 hours, my winter jaunts are usually within a 30 mile radius.

Sounds like a great time. Wish you more of the same in "21.

it looks like you had a very enjoyable day. Thanks for sharing.

Swattie...My boss gets me that Alaskan Alt Style Beer by the case every time he is out in Chicago area, so I know it well. Real good stuff that I pair up with pit smoked beef brisket sandwiches and/or salami/provolone on Pacifico rolls for streamside lunch.Gotta eat well if you want to hike well.

Looks like you had a great day with the trout, grub, and suds!

Amoroso is the only way to go!

Beautiful looking day. Nicely done!

10/10 day with the lady well done sir.

Great report Swattie, you definitely got into some nice fish this year. I need to make more of a point of packing a good lunch for my small stream adventures more often.

Happy New Year!

Swattie was hoping to get a glimpse of your voluntary trout permit in one of the pics . Oh well the search continues .

Fredrick wrote:
Swattie was hoping to get a glimpse of your voluntary trout permit in one of the pics . Oh well the search continues .

May need to find a new hobby, as I make it a point to not show my license in any photos I post. (Easier to do since the display requirements were changed.) And, any evidence that sometimes I fish with spinning tackle.

Maybe try Snakehead fishing? I’ve heard on this forum they’re a sporting fish.

Nice, fish and beer look wild

Swattie87 wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

May need to find a new hobby, as I make it a point to not show my license in any photos I post. (Easier to do since the display requirements were changed.) And, any evidence that sometimes I fish with spinning tackle.

Maybe try Snakehead fishing? I’ve heard on this forum they’re a sporting fish.

I hear that snakehead fishing is an exciting venture with the whippy stick and I suddenly find myself with lots of extra time now, since I just recently dropped a hobby of mine . Thanks for the advice.

Great trip - Here’s to many more in 2021!

Back