Good way to kill a Saturday

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
Five guys, an excavator, skid steer and 70 ton of rock. An MCTU bank stabilization/habitat project designed to curtail a severely eroding streambank seven feet high x 60 ft long.

Designed and permitted by PF&BC Habitat division, Rock paid for through F&BC too. Escavator, Skid Steer donated and labor volunteered. Ten hours (with a three hour McGuiver delay in the middle).

Scope of work included 1 deflector with a log and rootwad extending 15 feet into a 20ft carved out bank of sediment upstream of a large maple tree. The stream is 70 ft wide in this area. Property is streamside private property open to general regulation fishing and a popular access point on Muddy Creek. Goals included the prevention of sedimentation from erosion during future storm events and the protection of a project downstream completed in 2002.

The project resulted in a fast runs beginning at a rootwad and ending at a large tree root mass now protected from direct sheer stress.

A well organized and executed team effort for MCTU. Trees and shrubs to follow. As well as the inspection and harassment of the new tenants.

MCTU, Banging rocks and logs making habitat.

Attachments

• Dwnstr2.jpg
    Dwnstr2.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Dwnstr2_after.jpg
    Dwnstr2_after.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Dwnstr.jpg
    Dwnstr.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Dwnstr_before.jpg
    Dwnstr_before.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Middle_before.jpg
    Middle_before.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Middle.jpg
    Middle.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Rootwad_upstr_before.jpg
    Rootwad_upstr_before.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Rootwad_upstr.jpg
    Rootwad_upstr.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 7
Well done Mo. I'm amazed at the incredibe amount of stream work accomplished by your small chapter and wish I lived closer so I could be more involved. Keep up the good work.

Back