Good Starter Outfit

S

Sylvaneous

A female friend of mine is really interested in learning how to fly fish. She doesn't have a huge income and needs a 5 wt outfit. I see that there are several low-priced ones out there (LL Bean, Orvis, The Fly Shop, Cabelas and what-all I don't even know)
Any one have any solid recommendations on or experiece with economical starter outfits?

Syl

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses and the truth is they'll almost all work fine for someone who is just begining. You may want her to start with a casting & fly fishing lesson or two before buying equipment.

If you're going to buy a generic outfit you can't go wrong buying from LL Bean or Cabelas since they back their merchandise. Cabelas sells the Ross Essence packages for about $150 (rod, reel, line, leader) and they seem to be getting good reviews. There are even less expensive packages for well under $100 that will work. Of course used outfits work well.

I got a friend started in fly fishing this past year, and he wants to get an outfit.
I'm going to take him to Bean. They have beginner outfits very reasonably priced. And their famous guarantee certainly makes buying their stuff attractive.
As for size, I think an 8'6" 5 weight is ideal for a beginner

it never hurts to check www.troutlet.com !!

dryflyguy - Just an "educated" suggestion for the Bean:

Check out the Quest outfit. For $99, you'll get a rod that casts unbelievably well (with divided rod tube), a reel (with bag) - don't be afraid of it being made of composite material - the drag is really good, a Streamlight LL Bean fly line (its a Sci Angler line!), Sci Angler leader and backing, and they assemble it all for you. Tough to beat the performance of this combo!

If it were me, I'd spend a couple bucks more and get the 4 piece 5wt, just for portability reasons. :cool:

Here is the first setup I bought. No complaints whatsoever...

Heritage:

I was thinking of that outfit for him - but because it didn't say graphite in the catalog, I thought maybe the rod was possibly made of fiberglass, or someting else. Anyway, I'll have him look at that, and the next level up outfit, which I believe is called streamlight
thanks for the info

miller, what is the warranty on that Okuma rod?

troutlet is a good site....I have always found good bang for the buck in Cortland products...

Tom,

The warranty is one year against defects in workmanship and materials. Not nearly as good as most rods out there, I know, but for a starter outfit it fits the bill. My plan is to upgrade my 9' 5wt down the road. The workmanship on the rod and reel seem sufficient though. My only gripe is that it doesn't have a hook holder :-?

I saw this last night. They also have some sage kits as well

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/1398,1412W_Ross-Reels-Essence-FC-Fly-Rod-and-Reel-Combination-4wt-6wt-4-Piece-Rod-Flycast-Reel-2.html

Back