good spot to teach new (Tenkara) angler?

L

lestrout

I've got a hiker who wants to learn how to fish. He got a license and a Tenkara, living just north of K/Prussia. No Trout Stamp, though now is now too good for cold water fish without more of a drive. He doesn't have waders, and I don't advocate wet wading, so we will need a spot with agreeable fish close to a firm shore. Any suggestions?

Why no wet wading? I'm way older now. But me and my friends used to wet wade in Montgomery and Bucks county and catch smallmouth bass. I prob had summers where I was wet wading almost everyday. It's hot. Just curious.

HeavyWater wrote:
Why no wet wading... Just curious.

I'm a wet wader of many decades too.

However, there have been many members of our forum who have developed sores or infections after wet wading and this has led to greatwer awareness around here of the potential problems with wet wading. Some of our forum members have sworn off wet wading after such experiences, or hearing about them.

While I still wet wade, I have become much more vigilant about even minor sores or cuts when I'm around river water.

lestrout wrote:
so we will need a spot with agreeable fish close to a firm shore. Any suggestions?

I'd try one of the state parks with decent shoreline access - think mowed banks or areas cleared of tall vegetation - riprap etc. You can usually find this around boat ramps and main parking areas.

Go out in the morning or evening with some nymphs or wet flies and drop 'em around blowdowns or cattails. You should get plenty of action from sunfish and probably some small bass.

Dave - thanks for the explanation. Maybe I should be more careful.

Les - from King of Prussia, you could get to that area near collegevile where I think the Perk runs through a pretty large hiking/biking path. You could prob walk a lot and find some spots to fish from the bank. I haven't fished there in a while but it prob hold SMB.

Also, if the budget is tight you could prob get some cheap boot foot hip waders. Or even knee higher rubber boots at low cost compared tol an all out Simms setup. That might give you just enough space off the bank to open up more spots.

Also. Evansburg park is not far. Again you could walk along the skipback and look for shots from the bank. But a cheap pair of rubber waders or boots would prob also help there. I haven't fished there in like 20 years. But we used to catch SMB there. Back then the only waders I had were rubber hippers.

Good luck.

Back